Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tonneu or shell

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 10:56 PM
Default tonneu or shell

Just got an LT2 08 xcab in white. I'd like to know our opinions. I know most have tonneu and I had one on my 05 FX4. It looks good but not as useful as a shell. You can sleep in also when you want to get out. I'm pretty sure what I'll be getting but I'm interested in what you guys think.

Old 06-26-2008, 11:01 PM
TruckForum Addict
Default RE: tonneu or shell

Do you mean a camper when you say shell? If so I'd so OH DEAR GOD NO![:'(] Those are ugly. I don't like the figerglass bed toppers either. Honestly I don't have any real reason to give you for not getting them other than I don't like them. Sorry.

Old 06-26-2008, 11:33 PM

yeah....in my opinion, campers look horrible on trucks, unless its a ford which is ugly and sucks anyway...a tonneau is a lesser of 2 evils...ok well its not that bad, but it would be my choice

Old 06-27-2008, 10:24 AM

Camper: Nope, get a trailer. Those beat the hell out of your truck.

Hard Cover: Only good for groceries and small items. Want to haul a dryer? Maybe a dresser someday? Better take that sucker off when your home, and have about 2-3 other people ready to help you! Those suckers are heavy!

Tonneu: If you spend some money and get a good one you can get a good enough cover that will keep the inside of the bed dry, open like a hard cover and/or roll or fold up like a tonneau.

Truck Cap: Good all around function, but now you have a ghetto SUV (in my opinion) and those things can be very heavy too.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:09 AM

My truck came with a fiberglass topper (what i think these guys are calling a camper). It can be useful depending on what your doing but again I dont like the looks. Plus with it on I can not carry real big stuff, drop in a load of mulch, or though the quad in the back. I still own mine and use it on occasion, very rarely. Useful for moving, or carrying stuff in the rain. I use it in the winter, keeps snow and wetness out and adds weight.

Hard covers are not easy to take on and off, not very versatile. Basically what Jcbst12 said. Worst option

Tonneu is truely the best way to go!!! I personally like the roll up ones that you can just roll up to access the bed or carry something big, but it also keeps your bed nice and dry and covered.

It depends on what your want and use it for. Do you wanna carry big stuff, lock it, remove it, ect.