Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Tow/haul mode

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 02:53 PM
VAC
Default Tow/haul mode

Looked around a bit but coudn't find anything on this. Have a 06 1/2 ton silverado, 4wd, automatic. Rarely tow anything but last week had to tow a single axle trailer. Hit the switch on the end of the gear selctor and got nothin. No dash light, no change in the trans. Been over a year since I used this and wonder if anyone might have a idea of the problem. Truck has 53,000 miles, runs fine and has not been abused. Looked in the owners manual to see it could be a fuse or a relay but did not see one listed for this. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks V

Old 02-20-2010, 04:14 PM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

This is very common. The wire from that button runs down by the ignition cylinder. Open it up and you will an orange wire. That sometimes get caught in the teeth of the gear selector and will get cut. Just rewire an you are good.

Old 02-20-2010, 05:36 PM
VAC

Thanks !! Will check it out tommorry !

V

Old 02-21-2010, 06:39 PM
VAC

Well checed the wire and its in good shape. Did unplug it under the dash and have no continuity in the swich. Also made a jumper wire in to the plug and the tow light came on so it looks liek it might be the switch. I see where the gear selector lever is locked in to the column with a allen screw. How much of a pain is it to change out the switch? Can't see where it is looked in to the selector lever. Everything else looks easy enough.

Thanks V

Old 02-22-2010, 10:34 AM
TruckForum Addict

I am posting late on this subject, but my Tow/Haul button acts up like that from lack of use. After I mess with it for a bit it starts workinng again.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:40 AM

You have to replace the whole lever. Usually the wires break at the first clip after the lever from bending back and forth.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:04 PM
General Truck/Classifieds Forum Moderator

OR you could just rewire the switch to a push button on your dash and then you wont have to buy a new shift lever (expensive). Just a thought.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:45 PM
Default Similar situation

My '03 Silverado has had the same problem for awhile now. I just shift the tranny down to 3rd but before, once i shifted the tranny manually to 3rd, if i pushed the tow/haul mode switch, it would work, but now it don't. No biggie, i haul a boat or snowmobile trailer.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:55 AM

You pulled the boot back and can see the wires for the switch and all are good? That problem is very very common. I'd check into it a little bit further. 99% of the time, thats what it is, is the orange wire is snipped.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:41 PM
Default Tow/Haul Mode switch

So your saying the boot that is around the gear selector/shifter, to pull that back and to check for an orange wire that may be broken off? Sounds pretty simple, i'll have to have a buddy of mine check it out sometime. If it is, can i splice in a new piece of wire if possible? Thanx for the info, Jim

Quick Reply: Tow/haul mode