Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tranny fluid flush

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 08:22 AM
Default RE: tranny fluid flush

To me it looks like they did some routine maintenance to their truck and it performs better. I think its more new fluid than performance fluid. That can be expected. It could have cause a slight increase over normal fluids but I think if they did the same exact thing with good fluids and Royal Purple fluids it would be close or the same. I already use Mobil1 oil, that should work just fine in the crankcase. But as far as the other fluids, I'm sticking strictly with whats recommended, like Argon told us.

Old 10-31-2007, 03:10 PM
Beginner

I did the flush at 100k did not do any towing at that stage but do now, and I also recently changed the filter this way you get the magnet cleaned and the crap film out of pan, did make a difference.

Old 10-31-2007, 04:52 PM

Now, i realize the flush and doing the filter can be done seperately, which is what i plan on doing. My question is, when dropping the pan to change the filter, how much fluid do you lose, all but like 3 quarts which is in the converter? Heres what my local GM dealer told me when i called them. Under 100,000 miles, they recommend doing the back flush, and the flush is stated to get out ALL the fluid out of the tranny, and it cleans the filter by means of flushing everything back thru the filter. Then they replace i believe its 16 quarts of fluid. Why would draining the pan and doing a filter change be better than a flush if theres still approx 3 quarts of OLD fluid still left in the torque converter? I'm not doubting anyones knowledge here, i guess i either don't understand or i'm misunderstanding something. 1 person told me they drain the pan, and then start the truck momentarily, which gets that 3 quarts or so out of the converter, then replaces the filter and all the fluid. I was also told the filters look brand new, after doing a back flush. I'm no mechanic. If it was a matter of dropping the pan, maybe losing a couple quarts of fluid to be able to put a new filter in, after a flush, i'd do it in a heartbeat. The GM dealer quoted me $199.00 for a flush, and dropping the pan and changing the filter was like another $100.00, and they are 2 different services i was told. The place i'm taking mine is where i bought it, they charge $110.00 for the flush, and i was told they will check to see what my particular tranny calls for from GM,which isDexron 3. Next Friday the 9th, i'm having it done, and this coming Friday the 2nd, i'm getting the catback system installed, with a Flowmaster 50 series, exiting straight out the back with chrome tips, shes gonna sound nice, i can't wait, plus i already have the K&N FIPK, so she'll be able to breathe really good then.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:35 PM

I was thinking about changing the rear differential fluid to try to get rid of some of the clunk. I have not done this before. Can someone please tell me how this is done.

Thanks

Old 11-01-2007, 06:58 AM

199 bucks...good gawd..do NOT give those asshats 200 bucks for an illegal alien to push some buttons on a flush machine.

think about it...do you want the filter backwashed,with the dirt shot everywhere,...or you want a new one?...gm put out a letter just last week telling dealers they WILL follow maintenance guidelines...whioch is to drop the pan and get the gunk out.

Old 11-01-2007, 12:16 PM

The pan will loose around 5 quarts of fluid when dropped. The flush should be done first, but it is not needed as long as the pan is wiped clean. That is entirely too much money for that service. It cost me $70 or so for the flush and $30 or so for the filter kit. Labor on the filter swap should be no more than $100 at the most.Go to a trusted garage if need be (thats not a dealership) and just get the filter replaced. No offense Argon but labor for dealership services is pretty high around here.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:24 PM

We're cheaper per hour than the indy's

Old 11-01-2007, 07:38 PM

I agree ..the dealership prices around here are insane. Whatever I can't do on my own, I take it to the mechanic right across the street and he does it for a good price ....it doesn't matter that I can't understand a word of what he says ...he's Vietnamese ...but he know's his stuff and won't rip me off because 1) I live right across the street from his shop, and 2) I'm very specific about what I want done.

Old 11-03-2007, 12:15 AM
Beginner

Argon you said that you should get dexIII but I was unable to find it, all there was out there was stuff that said it was for dexIII and mercon. So when I asked the dealer parts guy about dexIII they do not carry it just the latest dexVI so they do not stock so many different types, you just can not put dexIII in newer trannys but newer fluid is ok in older? Mine is better after filter and about 6 qts dexVI. Also I did the filter myself (dealer $100) but you have to disconnect shifter bracket (torque tips bolts[:@]) and a heat shield, what happened to the old days of just dropping the friggin pan.Just used jack and stands on one side.

Old 11-03-2007, 01:14 PM

anyone ever consider tapping a bolt or stopcock into the pan to make draining the pan cleaner?

Quick Reply: tranny fluid flush