Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Tranny Kit came today.......let the rebuild begin..........oh and the write up!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 08:10 PM
General Truck/Classifieds Forum Moderator
Smile Tranny Kit came today.......let the rebuild begin..........oh and the write up!

So I finally ordered my tranny rebuild kit along with a new sun shell (just in case) It is a master kit with clutches and steels and pistons. Hopefully I will get to the rebuild in the next couple weeks.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:23 PM

Alrighty, now LET'S GET IT ONNNNNNNNN!

Old 06-16-2009, 08:26 PM

yep the hardest part is finding the time to do it. But hopefully I can find a Saturday to do it. It will be a all day case....or two of beer event.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:52 PM
Administrator

Get it on, Bang a gong, get it on

Old 06-17-2009, 06:57 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Make sure you take lots of pics...I have always wanted to dive into a trans rebuild. It can't be that hard can it?????

Old 06-17-2009, 08:08 AM

Im planning on rebuilding a tranny sometime before the end of the year so ill be interested in seeing the progress

Old 06-17-2009, 10:24 AM

Mr_Shamrock Nah trannys arent as hard as you might think but they do take a little bit of patience..............the hardest part is pulling it and putting it back in
89ChevySilverado are you doing it on your truck??? If so this will be right up your alley.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by chrisbmo2000
Mr_Shamrock Nah trannys arent as hard as you might think but they do take a little bit of patience..............the hardest part is pulling it and putting it back in
89ChevySilverado are you doing it on your truck??? If so this will be right up your alley.

Yes this will be on my truck. I currently have the original 350 v8, automatic tranny w/o overdrive.. my plans are to rebuild a vortec v8 and a automatic tranny with overdrive then, swap em out.

Maybe when i do the Vortec rebuild ill include a write-up.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:13 PM

Manuals are easy but I would honestly be a little nervous taking apart an auto. Too much stuff in there.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by 6mins2live
Manuals are easy but I would honestly be a little nervous taking apart an auto. Too much stuff in there.
If you can do a manual you can do an automatic, they just look intimidating, the 4L60E comes apart in 6 or less main pieces then those pieces come apart. The majority of an auto is clutch packs. The blow ups of autos dont do them justice at all, generally when you do a rebuild half of that stuff never gets touched cause it doesnt need to come down that far. I have a habit of pulling the pump apart though. this one should be interesting because it is the vane style pump instead of the gear style that the older ones used. I have been studying valve body diagrams, I guess in 2000 they changed the valve body design slightly to allow more fluid flow in the TCC circut. so I am playing with the idea of changing the valve body too.

Quick Reply: Tranny Kit came today.......let the rebuild begin..........oh and the write up!