Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Transmission fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 07:58 PM
Default Transmission fluid change

So I need some help figuring out how to change the transmission fluid out of my truck. It is a 2005 Silverado 1500 4X4 5.3L. I have gotten all the nuts off but now the pan is stuck and it seems that I either have to move the exhaust or bend the piece of metal that holds the shift cable because something is getting in the way of me removing the pan. Does anyone out there know what could it be catching on and how to get the pan out? I would appreciate the help thanks.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:31 PM
Default RE: Transmission fluid change

I popped out the shift cable were that little white ball thing is. Then just bend the bracket out of the way just enough. When putting the fluid in start with 5 quart's. Start it up let it run till its warmed up and check the fluid level add what ever you need from there. I drove it down the street and back before I checked it.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:48 PM

Thanks that got the pan down. Now I have done something dumb. I tried to get the gasket out and replace it, now the gasket is torn (don't worry I was careful not to do anything to the transmission casting) but the dang gasket is not even budging. I was talking to someone they said it will come out but I shouldn't have messed with it in the first place, dang chetons book. Any suggestions there?

Old 10-24-2008, 09:56 PM

Just get a replacement gasket. Should be available about anywhere. Are you saying it's stuck to the trans? If so scrape it off with a razor blade being careful not to gouge the metal. Replace the filter while you have the pan down.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:14 PM

My bad I wasn't specific enough. I have a new gasket for around the pan. The gasket I am referring to is the round one that goes up in the femalesocket for the filter. I have a new gasket for thatthe old one isjust is not moving and being in the transmission I have to be extra careful not to scrape the sides of the casting. In hind site I should have left it in there. But it is too screwed up now to just forget about it.

Old 10-25-2008, 01:20 AM

Ok I am going to share what I learned from this. Yep I got it done. In trying to get the piece of metal that holds the shift cable to get out of the way to drop the pan it wouldn't bend past a certain point so I just used a C-clamp to hold it to the front wheel drive shaft. Then, and this is important, if the gasket for the filter absolutely doesn't need to be replaced then for gods sake don't because once you tear into it you HAVE to replace it. The gasket was a pain to get out because I had to apply the right amount of force on the top of the gasket but not enough to scrape the sides of the transmission. When that didn't work I took a little more drastic measure of taking a very small flat head screw driver (the kind you use for glasses) and taped on the metal part on the bottom of the gasket and started to bend the old gasket in on itself until I was able to get some needle nose in there and grab onto it and pull it out. Anyway that was my experience with it, yours may be different.

Old 10-25-2008, 08:45 AM

That bracket you bent will unbolt - it's just held on with a couple of Torx head (or is it hex head?) bolts. 6.5's I think - I could be wrong on the size.

Old 10-25-2008, 10:23 AM

True the bracket will unbolt however the bolts are above the transmission and out of my line of site it was way easier to bend it out of the way and bend it back.

Old 10-25-2008, 08:05 PM

Well glad you got it done. Stuff like that can be pretty nerve racking. I don't like to mess with the trans to much.