Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Transmission overfilling itself???

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 08:57 PM
Question Transmission overfilling itself???

Hey guys,
Have an 05 Silverado Rwd.

Back in Jan i got my Transmission rebuilt because of a shake, ending up being a bad torque converter.

Anyways, got the truck back and everything was good. I Checked the fluid almost every other time i took the truck out.....just wanted to make sure. As time went by i checked it less and less, to the point where i only checked it at an oil change.

It is now Aug, 7 months later and it was time for an oil change. Changed the oil and started checkin fluids. Got the the tranny, she's overfull. You know where the top of the cross hatch is for the hot range? Add about 2 inches above that, Thats where mine is. Yes i made sure it was in park, i triple checked.

Since i got the truck back it has worked perfect, shifts good hasn't done anything funny. Heck i work that truck, from pullin trailers to putting enough wood in the box for the tailpipe to almost touch the ground, It works good.

Does anybody have any ideas? I know the fluid level was perfect when the tranny got rebuilt. Why and How can it be overfull now?

Anybody?

Old 08-08-2012, 01:41 PM
TMW

You or the person who changed the oil put too much in. My 04 Z71 takes 3 quarts on an oil change. Either use a siphon hose thru the fill tube or take the drain plug out if you have one and drain until the level is correct.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:36 PM

Im sorry if i have mislead you. I am talking about the transmission fluid being overfull.

When i was talking about doing an oil change, what i meant was i check all the fluid levels under the hood when i also change the engine oil. And when i checked the fluid level on the transmission dipstick, the fluid level was way higher than it should be. But somehow it got that way on its own....

Again, i am sorry if i mislead you.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:10 AM
Administrator

Sounds like a real conundrum. Grab some bottles with your own label on them. Your truck is making Transmission fluid $$$

All joking aside. Checking your tranni fluid level IS difficult, what with the truck running. It some times isn't very accurate cause of the fluid that is in the dip stick tube.

I find doing a tranni fluid check while tranni is cold (cool) or in the morning is a much more accurate way of checking the tranni level.
I start my truck in the morning and check the fluid right away.

While doing a HOT check... you can easily get to or three different results on three consecutive checks

Last edited by In2Trux; 08-09-2012 at 10:15 AM.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:13 AM
Beginner

Transmission oil heat up too and also expand gm transmission dip stick have a colld fill and a hot filled

Old 08-09-2012, 03:20 PM
TMW

I was talking about the transmission oil not the engine oil. I always check mine when it is hot and on a level surface.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:54 PM

This is why this is so confusing.

When the tranny was rebuilt the levels were good. When i checked the tranny cold is was right to the top of the cold line. When i checked the tranny hot, it stayed within the halfway point in the "hot" range. And yes always on level ground.

BUT NOW!,

When i check the fluid level cold, it is at the top of the cross-hatch for the hot range, and when i check the tranny fluid when it is hot, it is 2 inches beyond the top of the hot range.

Any transmission guys on here have any ideas?

Old 08-10-2012, 07:04 PM
TruckForum Addict

As far as I know, the best way to do it is after a long drive, park on a level surface, shift the gear selector through reverse, neutral, drive, 3, 2, 1, and back through waiting about 5 seconds for each gear in each direction. This ensures that your valve body has fresh fluid going through most of the passages. Then check the level. Pull out dipstick, wipe off, put it back in, count to three, pull it back out and hold the dipstick sideways and look at it under good light. The highest concentration of trans fluid in the area closest to the crosshatches is where the fluid level is. You can have some wetness from trans fluid in the tube, or from splashing.

If it's too full, I'd say take it back to your trans shop and explain that your transmission is overfilled. They'll either way to change your fluid, or they can use a machine and suck it out. If you can find a pump, you can suck it out too, but just make sure you don't stuff too much tubing down into the trans. Your tube will disappear if you feed too much down in there. Then you'll need another transmission. What happens is that there is rotating components inside the trans ... So if you stick the tube too far into the pan, it will curl back around and get caught in the rotating components. You could probably siphon it out too I guess.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:06 PM

Ok so a little update.

Dropped the tranny pan a few nights ago.Everything looked good so i cleaned the pan out, new filter and putter back together. Filled it up, drove it and topped it up according.

Have been checking the fluid level each morning and after a long drive, and the fluid level is were it should be cold and hot.

Can i assume the guy that rebuilt my tranny just overfilled it? But why did it take 7 or 8 months to show that it was overfull?

Can tranny fluid go bad????

Old 08-14-2012, 07:03 AM
Administrator

Good to hear your transmission is now back to normal and that everything is OK.
As for your question, Can Tranni fluid go bad???

YES... As soon as you open the transmission fluid container the clock starts ticking. Transmission fluid as brake fluid takes on moisture.

That's why every 60,000 ml (100,000 km) a automatic tranni should have a fluid flush.

Tranni fluid also can fail when a transmission begins slipping (Burnt fluid)

Quick Reply: Transmission overfilling itself???