Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Tru Cool 40K trans cooler install

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 02:29 AM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

I left the factory hooked up and just slpiced in the new one. You just need tubing cutters and a flat head screwdriver.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:39 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Hey BAD2006Z71 how has the tranny cooler helped? Now that you have had it on there for a while...let us know what you think. Anything you don't like about it? How are the connections holding up? Does it use the factory ones or do you have to cut the lines and use a hose with a clamp? I don't want to have a leak issue later on. My new GMC (new to me it's a 2002) seems to run cooler than the Chevy I just got rid of so I am wondering if I even need one on this truck (I definitely had plans on the Chevy to install one). The Chevy ran just under 200. I just towed our 22 foot boat yesterday through some hilly terrain, about a 45 minute drive, and it never got over 180. It was in the upper 80's here yesterday too. I think that is pretty good, but I guess 15-20 degrees cooler would be nice as well.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Mr_Shamrock
Hey BAD2006Z71 how has the tranny cooler helped? Now that you have had it on there for a while...let us know what you think. Anything you don't like about it? How are the connections holding up? Does it use the factory ones or do you have to cut the lines and use a hose with a clamp? I don't want to have a leak issue later on. My new GMC (new to me it's a 2002) seems to run cooler than the Chevy I just got rid of so I am wondering if I even need one on this truck (I definitely had plans on the Chevy to install one). The Chevy ran just under 200. I just towed our 22 foot boat yesterday through some hilly terrain, about a 45 minute drive, and it never got over 180. It was in the upper 80's here yesterday too. I think that is pretty good, but I guess 15-20 degrees cooler would be nice as well.
Well i have yet to tow with it since i put the cooler on, but i did go to the track. with the factory one and 9-10 passes with 79deg weather, it got to about 200-210, with the 40K cooler and 9-10 passes it only got to about 180-185.

with the hot 90-95deg days and with the ac on full blast i has yet to creep past 160.

i think it is a good upgrade no matter what, you know what they say, heat is the #1 killer of transmissions. but if youre not getting about 180 deg towing, then you are probably fine with what you have.

as for leaks... i havent seen any yet, i just cut the factory lines and used the hardware that came with the cooler. so far so good.

if you havet done it yet, i would also suggest a vette servo upgrade, i really like mine so far.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:41 AM
TruckForum Addict

I'm not following ya'll here. How are ya'll getting your transmission fluid temps? And what is the point of doing this? Are ya'll just trying to prevent premature tranny failure or is there some kind of performance difference?

Old 09-07-2009, 03:41 PM

I'm doing it to make my transmission last longer. I have had a truck that ended up going through 5 transmissions because of the heat. Some of the new trucks have a transmission temp. gauge so thats how we know. I would recommend having a trans. gauge on any vehicle.

BAD2006Z71- I think that is a great difference since you haven't seen it over 160 with normal driving and under 190 racing. Thats what I'm looking for. Were you able to install it all in one afternoon? I don't have a whole lot of time to get out and work on it so I just want to see if I can do it after say 4pm and be done that day. We have a race this friday so if it comes in by then, I'm gonna try to install it first.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by 72charger
I'm not following ya'll here. How are ya'll getting your transmission fluid temps? And what is the point of doing this? Are ya'll just trying to prevent premature tranny failure or is there some kind of performance difference?
I have an ss cluster with the trans temp gauge (yea i know they arent supper accurate) so that is what im going off of. heat kills transmissions so that is why i did the upgrade. because i do treat it like sh*t alot of times and the 4l60/70's need all the help they can get.

i doubt it would give any performance differences.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Pelicandivebomb
I'm doing it to make my transmission last longer. I have had a truck that ended up going through 5 transmissions because of the heat. Some of the new trucks have a transmission temp. gauge so thats how we know. I would recommend having a trans. gauge on any vehicle.

BAD2006Z71- I think that is a great difference since you haven't seen it over 160 with normal driving and under 190 racing. Thats what I'm looking for. Were you able to install it all in one afternoon? I don't have a whole lot of time to get out and work on it so I just want to see if I can do it after say 4pm and be done that day. We have a race this friday so if it comes in by then, I'm gonna try to install it first.

yea a friend of mine and i installed it in about 2hrs. but i did have the factory one already there, so i just used the existing hoses and stuff. not that bad. worse part was being scared to take the front end apart, fearing that i would break something or scratch something up.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:05 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Cool I am ordering one today.

Old 09-08-2009, 05:39 PM

Thanks, for the help. I've already looked over all the nuts and bolts that I need to remove so I will kinda have an idea of how to start taking things apart. I didn't think it would be too hard.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:29 PM
Thumbs up

I got the cooler yesterday and installed it that evening in about 2 hours with road testing in everything. Very easy to do job yourself. Today it has been running around 40 degrees cooler than it used to. With it 85 and sunny today I haven't seen it get past 126.

Good investment.

Quick Reply: Tru Cool 40K trans cooler install