Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Truck won't start when warm and humid....!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 12:03 PM
Default Truck won't start when warm and humid....!!!

I own a '98 Silverado 2-wheel drive ext cab, 5.7L V8. For almost 8 months now I have had consistent starting problems. It seems that every time it is warm and humid outside it won't start. The truck will turn over but won't fire up. Sometimes it seems as if it is close, but then it doesn't start in the end. I have replaced the ignition switch and fuel pump, but it still does the same thing. There is a knock in the engine that is pretty loud when the truck starts up but then it dies down after driving it for a while. Does this have something to do with it? Some days when it won't start and I keep trying, eventually starts up. It sounds horrible for a bit (like it's misfiring) and it sounds like it's flooding when I press the gas a little bit harder.. After driving it for a while it gets up and go when I floor it, but it takes some time. What the heck could this be?? Please, I've already spent too much on this thing!!

Old 04-07-2008, 03:34 PM
Default RE: Truck won't start when warm and humid....!!!

Its your distributer cap it got a very fine crack on it might be your wires but more than likely its your cap change the rotor wile your in there.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:19 PM

If there was a crack in the distributor cap, would it not have trouble starting all the time? Does a crack explain the flooding type sounds?

Old 04-07-2008, 11:39 PM

I dont know about the flooding sound but ill bet im right on the cap ive seen it happen lots of time if not then the plug wires. Dose it happen when it rains also? Oh and that would also explain the misfiring when it dose start. Its easy to change only 2 screws (insert sex joke) I think. And im pretty sure its only a few bucks just make sure you dont get your wires mixed up.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:24 AM

im guessing it wont start on humid days because the crack allows moisture to get in there?

Old 04-08-2008, 09:15 AM

Exactly

Old 04-09-2008, 11:35 AM

Do you know why that crack would cause it to misfire? Sometimes when she's struggling to start up it eventually does and it sounds horrible (misfiring) and then it stalls. Then I try again and eventually it starts up again and I give it a little bit of gas and it runs pretty good. I guess what I don't understand is why it would misfire and then run perfectly fine afterwards..!

Old 04-09-2008, 11:45 AM

Well if the contacts in the cap are corroded enough, yeah Im sure it could cause some major issues.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:00 PM

When it warms up it will dry aiso might be the plug wires

Old 04-09-2008, 05:27 PM

I had the plug wires replace about 6 months ago, so I wouldn't think that would be the problem. Can they go bad that fast? This problem does occur when it rains too..

Quick Reply: Truck won't start when warm and humid....!!!