Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

unidentified problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 11:56 AM
Default unidentified problem

so, im driving down the highway on my way to family Christmas... two lane highway, speed limit is 55.

when i pulled over to pass people, if i put the pedal on the floor the truck revs up but its almost like its spinning tires. then it catches and goes.

is this the transmission slipping or what? it feels almost like high-speed torque management? i dont know but its bothering me.

Old 12-25-2007, 04:11 PM
Default RE: unidentified problem

I'm sort of having the same problem i changed the fluid and filter in the trans and it seemed to help for a while but now it's doing it again. I'm going to change my torque converter lockup solenoid next and the the 3 to 4 solenoid.i have a 4l80e. If i were you i would have it scanned, i did and the dealer found nothing.

Old 12-25-2007, 07:58 PM

You know there is a little pause as the transmission shifts to the passing gear before it starts to "kick ***" as I call it. My truck does that until it gets into a lower gear. Is this what you are talking about or do you see your rpm's go up without gaining mph?

Old 12-25-2007, 09:25 PM

I know what you are talking about with the tranny... I have a work truck thats doing the same thing... I would say that it is the going out. Periodically during the day ill be driving and its like a get nothing and then all of a sudden "bam" its like its back in gear.

Old 12-26-2007, 04:42 PM

well if it happens to other people i guess i can deal with it... i've just never noticed it before, thought i'd make sure it wasn't going to explode on me or something...

Old 12-26-2007, 05:42 PM

How much rpm does it rize before the speed starts to increase?

Old 12-27-2007, 12:45 AM

well... if i only drop it into the gear thats around 3 grand, it just goes. but if i floor it it rises to almost 5... but it doesnt drop when it catches. like, when my tranny was slipping on my old truck it would rev way up and then drop down revs when it caught gear. its not dropping down when it "catches" this time, which is why i was confused

Old 12-28-2007, 06:58 PM

yeah its your trans. our 01 suburban did the same thing. we had it replaced a few months ago when it went out on the way to an ASTROS game. we lost all gears except for reverse. and then on the way to my grandfathers for christmas a few days ago it went out again where we only had 2nd gear. mind you we were on the freeway when this happend. so we took it in again and i hope they do a better job this time... but back to what i was saying since yours is reving up you probably have about a month or two before it goes out or atleast thats what happend in our case.

Old 12-28-2007, 08:38 PM

Yep, kiss that baby goodbye. Time for a rebuild. I would keep it out of overdrive to save some slipage on the highway, and maybe keep it in second around town till you can get it fixed. But be ready for it to completely let go at any time.

Old 12-29-2007, 12:58 AM

damn... no good... and my warranty expired 2500 miles ago... alright thanks... guess ill be sure to be easy on it for a while since i cant afford a tranny right now