Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Upgrade Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 11:47 AM
Default RE: Upgrade Suggestions

the trans dapt torque curve... mine does not whistle, or if it does i cant hear it over my exhaust... its the best mod i've done for the money i spent... you can get one from summitracing.com

Old 02-06-2008, 01:24 AM
TruckForum Addict

No Trans Dapt throttle body spacers don't whistle. Gains are great for the price! We're not talking tire shredding or anything but you pick up a lot of mid-range power which is what I was really hoping for and it fit the bill.

Also, if your not looking to make a Corvette out of this thing, I'd just get a Predator programmer. I also don't recommend headers as 15 out of 20 guys who have bought headers for these trucks will tell you the gains are minimul and not worth the money spent.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:27 AM

I don't know what 15 guys you talked to but the gains from headers are far from minimal and should be one of your first mods.

Shorty headers are what you need to steer clear of because they don't flow much better than the stock manifolds.

Long tube's or Thorley Tri Y's give massive improvement.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:17 AM
TruckForum Addict

So damnyankee when i go to do my long tube headers and y pipe i can come down to your house and you will help me Since you have them and know what you are doing.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:29 AM

thanks guys. you rock!
ill post some pics on here soon when i get the exhaust done and we'll go from there
you guys are so awesome. i think that im going to go with the long tube headers in the future as well as ignition wires, plugs, and a programmer.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:40 PM

I was goin 2 go long tube pacesetters but didn't want to void my truck warranty.The Edelbrock shorties are really nice for the price.

Old 02-06-2008, 03:32 PM

i cant seem to find any one that has long tube headers for my truck
because its a 4 X 4 it makes things a little harder!
any suggestions by any one?
i checked pacesetter website, and edelbrock (SP?)

thanks guys!
maybe ill just have to call information at pacesetter and find out for sure. especially if im going to spend that kind of monies!

Old 02-06-2008, 05:56 PM

Hey DammYankee how is that trans on the highway? I Mean dose it still keep low RPMs while at high speeds.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:26 PM

Sorry for poping in late, I have been busy. Anyways, short tube headers do help, especially in the mid to high range. I hear long tube are better, but the only ones I can find are pacesetter, and I have not heard of anyone who can get them to last more than 2 years before rusting. They are cheap though so can be replaced for lower cost. As far as other mods and the order, I would do descreened MAF, throttlebody coolant bypass, TBS (transdapt) - great gains for cost, CAI - I have volant, but all seem to be good, single in dual out exhaust - I am a flowmaster fan, but any freeing up is good as long as you don't go too far, Headers - ceramic coated, reprogram - find aGOOD!! local guy with a dyno, Cam, torque converter, gears (plan on $1000 an axle) by the way what gears do you have?, forced induction. When you get all that done we can continue.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:46 PM

ORIGINAL: hunt4game29

So damnyankee when i go to do my long tube headers and y pipe i can come down to your house and you will help me Since you have them and know what you are doing.
I can't tell if that's a shot...? I do have long tube headers...the OBX stainless steel ones. I didn't recommend them because a lot of 4x4 owners have issues with them fitting. I have 2wd and there were no issues.

ORIGINAL: ito707

I was goin 2 go long tube pacesetters but didn't want to void my truck warranty.The Edelbrock shorties are really nice for the price.
Headers won't void your warranty. Shorties are a waste of money. They've been dyno tested against the stock manifolds and there was very little difference. The stock manifolds flow well enough to be used on turbo applications - that should tell you something.

ORIGINAL: knoxy

i cant seem to find any one that has long tube headers for my truck
because its a 4 X 4 it makes things a little harder!
any suggestions by any one?
i checked pacesetter website, and edelbrock (SP?)
Pacesetter ceramic coated Quick Trip long tubes would work well for you. Doug Thorley Tri-Y's would work well for you.

ORIGINAL: rxsteven

Hey DammYankee how is that trans on the highway? I Mean dose it still keep low RPMs while at high speeds.
The transmission is flawless. The RPM's are controlled by the tune, not the transmission. But yes, the RPM's stay right where they're supposed to.

ORIGINAL: smoke20

Sorry for poping in late, I have been busy. Anyways, short tube headers do help, especially in the mid to high range. I hear long tube are better, but the only ones I can find are pacesetter, and I have not heard of anyone who can get them to last more than 2 years before rusting. They are cheap though so can be replaced for lower cost. As far as other mods and the order, I would do descreened MAF, throttlebody coolant bypass, TBS (transdapt) - great gains for cost, CAI - I have volant, but all seem to be good, single in dual out exhaust - I am a flowmaster fan, but any freeing up is good as long as you don't go too far, Headers - ceramic coated, reprogram - find aGOOD!! local guy with a dyno, Cam, torque converter, gears (plan on $1000 an axle) by the way what gears do you have?, forced induction. When you get all that done we can continue.
Coated Pacesetters will last more than a couple of years. Probably more than 75% of the Chevy truck enthusiasts running headers are running Pacesetters and the coating holds up very well.

Not everyone does, but if you take your MAF screen out, you should check your AF ratio and so on. That screen is there to straighten the air out and the MAF sensor is calibrated to read off the screen. Look at HP Tuners sometime on a vehicle with the screen removed and watch how crappy a lot of the readings look. Too many people suggest this because they do it, stand next to their truck, drive it and everything seems fine. People cause severe damage sometimes doing this because they have no idea their AF and so on is way off.

Quick Reply: Upgrade Suggestions