Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vehicle speed sensors.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 06:18 PM
Default Vehicle speed sensors.

Ok, you guys are probably getting sick of me by now..lol. Well I finished replacing my knock sensors and that probelm is fixed, but this electrical problem hasnt. My truck stays in first gear, has no speedo, and displays the ABS light. (follow the link before reading on)

http://answers.edmunds.com/question-...ht--68925.aspx

Sound like an open and shut case right? Well I replaced the VSS senors which I found on the tail end of my transfer case about 5 months ago because of this issue , and it's still doing it. Is it possible that I got bad sensors from autozone? Or maybe theres other sensors that I'm missing? Does anyone know of somewhere that has a detailed picture of my tranny? Im on my knees begging!! I dont wanna take her to the stealership!

To date trying to fix this issue.
ABS module refurbish- $175
Pro mechanic inspection- $150
Input and Output VSS- $90
Amcco inspection- $210

Old 08-22-2009, 06:50 PM
General Truck/Classifieds Forum Moderator

when was your t-case serviced last? have you pulled the VSS and looked at it? Im willing to bet you have either a "dirty" t-case(ie metal shavings) or you have a broken wire. How about the neutral saftey switch? is it working? all plugs and wiring intact?

Old 08-22-2009, 07:38 PM

I had the t-case done last december, the wires all look good from a glance, and I simply replaced the VSS. I also just found a third one on top and replaced it, still no fix. It's almost like the connection to something is rubbing on and off. It's not a constant thing, it will be stuck in first with all those symptoms, then slam violently into second, then violently back to first making my RPMs go to like 4k! Whats the throttle posistion sensor? I read some stuff about that, but the article I linked has me really convinced that its to do with the VSS. I will get down there tomorrow and play with the wiring, but I'm burnt out today from false hope...lol

Old 08-22-2009, 10:06 PM
TruckForum Addict

Have you taken it to a tranny shop that does free diagnostics? I have seen a few shops here in Houston, Tx that does free diagnostics. Look at the website www.ls1truck.com. Those guys have good info also. They could come up with an answer too.

Old 08-23-2009, 01:02 AM

I took it to amcco, and the diagnosis was free. They tried to scam me, and told me they needed to drop the whole thing and rebuild the internals. I told them to put it back together and give me my damn truck back. I ended up with a $210 fuild change.

Old 08-23-2009, 01:28 AM

its not a tranny issue....YET it is a input problem.....remember most tranny issues are actually engine or sensor problems that "show" in the tranny, why cause the tranny is reliant on the engine and computer system.........stick a snap-on scanner on it so you can see real time info

Old 08-23-2009, 05:41 AM
Beginner

I just had my problem fixed. My speedometer and tachometer went out on my 97 and the transmission wouldn't shift. Turns out it was the ignition switch. The transmission shop read the 4 codes it threw and said they have seen this problem about 6 times already this year. It cost me around 400 for the part and labor;

Old 08-23-2009, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by chrisbmo2000
its not a tranny issue....YET it is a input problem.....remember most tranny issues are actually engine or sensor problems that "show" in the tranny, why cause the tranny is reliant on the engine and computer system.........stick a snap-on scanner on it so you can see real time info
Thats why I thought that replacing my knock sensors was going to fix the problem, because the TCM was getting bad voltage. Not the case, but I do agree, It's not mechanical at all. Do you mean a DTC reader? I have a superchips, and it checks out clean.

Old 08-23-2009, 04:43 PM

no the snap on scanner reads real time info for tranny O2 sensors fuel trim ect........Im not familiar with the superchips one so I dont know about it.......the ignition switch is a known problem related to this type of problem

Old 08-23-2009, 10:52 PM

What does the ignition switch do? where is it? Id like to look into that. Thank you very much for your patience and help!

Quick Reply: Vehicle speed sensors.