Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Vibration When Braking

Old 08-03-2013, 11:15 PM
Beginner
Default Vibration When Braking

I have a 2002 GMC Sierra with the 5.3 V8. I noticed some vibration when braking. I changed the rotors on the front. While I had the truck up on jack stands, I noticed a little play in the wheel on the driver's side. The play is horizontal and not vertical. Could this be an outer or inner tie rod end?
The vibration is still there after replacing the rotors. Any suggestions would be appreciated !! The truck has about 183,000 miles.

Old 08-04-2013, 06:48 PM
Administrator

Definitely your steering is going to need some attention. Whether it is your braking vibration? I don't think so, but it's a possibility.
Is the vibration primarily in your steering wheel or throughout the truck?

Old 08-04-2013, 07:21 PM
TruckForum Addict

The vibration could be in the rear brakes. It can sometimes be hard to tell, but like In2Trux said, do you feel it in your seat, or in the steering wheel when you brake?

The steering system on your truck is very known for needing pitman/idler arms and inner tierods. As well as ball joint, but from what you said, it's a steering linkage issue. Have a helper wiggle the tire like you did and lay under there and see exactly which parts are moving.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:07 AM
Beginner

I got under the truck while my son wiggled the tire. It appears that there is some movement at the inner tie-rod connection. When I am driving there is a small vibration, every once in a while but just noticeable. When I apply the brakes, the vibration starts and I can feel that is seems to be on the same side as the wheel that has the play in it. So far my tire is not showing any irregular wear, so hopefully this issue is fairly new. I have only had the truck for about a month. There is no movement at all on the passenger side tire.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:47 PM
Beginner

Also, in response to your question, it does not vibrate in the steering wheel or necessarily in the seat. it is more in the frame towards the driver's side front. I am taking it to have the inner and out tie-rod replaced in the morning. If the vibration persists, I will try the rear rotors. I have a connection at a local parts dealer that will sell me the rotors for less than what the shop wants to turn the rotors, so I will most likely just replace them. Either way, I need to get the steering issue repaired.

Old 08-08-2013, 03:07 PM
Beginner
Default Front end problems

Well, ended up replacing the entire rack and pinion on the truck. went ahead and replaced the outer tie-rods too. The seal on the driver's side of the rack looked as if it had been leaking for a while. The rubber boot was the only think holding the steering fluid in! Luckily I got a great deal on the parts and a decent deal on the labor. Cost about $275 to replace and re-align the tires, including parts and labor. Still have a little vibration when braking. gonna check the rear rotors now !!

Old 08-08-2013, 08:06 PM
Administrator

Glad to here you got such an awesome deal on the parts and labour. Sounds like your truck is close to perfect soon

Old 08-09-2013, 08:52 AM
Beginner

Yes, got a great deal on the parts. Thank the Lord for a good friend who happens to be the manager at a local parts store !! I am slowly making small repairs to my truck. It is in pretty good condition. I bought it from my employer. It was purchased new and used by the owners brother as a estimator vehicle. He put a lot of miles on it just driving around our area. It has about 184000 miles on it and I would have been concerned if I had not known it's history. I know that it has been serviced regularly and any problems were immediately repaired. I got it for $4600 and Kelly Blue Book has it with the options (it is a 2002 Sierra SLT) at retail for almost $8K. I love it and it drives great. The ONLY problem with it, as far as I know, is the clear coat peeling off the roof and in a couple of small areas on other parts of the truck. The local Maaco shop said they would paint the whole truck for $300. Might look into that when it gets worse.

Attached Thumbnails Vibration When Braking-truck-front.jpg   Vibration When Braking-truck-rear.jpg  
Old 08-10-2013, 04:12 PM
TruckForum Addict

Were you able to figure out where your vibration was coming from?

Old 08-11-2013, 10:27 PM
Beginner

Originally Posted by NullHead
Were you able to figure out where your vibration was coming from?
Not yet. Had to go out of town for the weekend and did not get to work on it. Will post as soon as I do !!! Any suggestions would still be appreciated !!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vibration When Braking