Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

wax or polish

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 07:24 PM
Beginner
Default wax or polish

I have an 02 sierra, truck is in great shape but has minor paint issues...scrathes and some swirl marks. Any feedback on whats out there to polish or clean it up ? Dont want to spend a crazy amount of time or money, just lookin for some info on what folks use on there trucks. The truck is black, so really looks good clean. Thanks for your time

Old 03-06-2012, 09:51 PM
Beginner

I like to use Meguiars Cleaner Wax or their Deep Crystal Carnauba Wax. The deep crystal works great and so does the cleaner wax. I think the Carnauba beads up water and sheds water better so the truck looks clean even after it rains. If you have swirls i would try Swirl-x from Meguiars. Ive never tried it but its got great reviews. For your plastic and trim i would use their Ultimate Protectant Spray. The trim stays black as new for weeks! I apply that with a microfiber towel. The wax i use a foam application pad. Best of luck to you man, good to hear your gonna take car of your truck.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:10 PM
Beginner

thanks for the reply. This is the longest I have ever kept a vehicle I usually trade it in long before this, I think just for a change. They all had low mileage, this truck only has 35k and the interior still looks almost new. I just put new tires on it, not cause of tread wear, but because of the age (original tires). So I dont have much experience with what products are out there to keep it lookin good. 1 other question if I may....Is this polish bought on line or is it usually found in lets say a auto parts store ?
Thank you for your input

Old 03-07-2012, 10:48 PM
Beginner

Sounds like a great truck. For your question, all of it can be bought in your auto part stores. I buy most of mine from Autozone cause I get a discount through being in a local auto club but the stuff is at most stores. I've seen the polish go on sale at Walmart to so it's easy to find. Let me know if you want any input on like tire shine and wheel cleaner and other detail things. I like to enter my 95 Silverado into car shows so I've got good expirence. I wish my 2010 silverado was as nice but it

Old 03-07-2012, 10:51 PM
Beginner

hasnt been pampered as much cause co-workers beat it up....

Old 03-08-2012, 06:46 AM

Tell them no good mo foe's to ride in the bed from here on out if they're not gonna show some respect to your rig!

Old 03-08-2012, 09:26 PM
Beginner

Originally Posted by GMC2011
Tell them no good mo foe's to ride in the bed from here on out if they're not gonna show some respect to your rig!
Amen, they drive themselves and i make them. But when im towing our work trailer they just throw **** over the bed sides and 50% of the time they hit the truck. It looks so much worse since the truck is black. I know its horrible!

Old 03-09-2012, 10:34 AM
Beginner

I hate to be the stick in the mud but...There's really no substitue for time and elbow grease. If its that bad then you might want to consider just having a detail shop do it. I do detailing for a living, and black is extremely difficult to get perfect (if your that **** about your s*#t). Satisfaction garentee is sometimes worth the scratch it costs to hav someone else do it.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:23 AM
Beginner

Thats just it, for its age , the truck looks great. Just wanted to know what was out there to keep it lookin decent. I dont want it perfect. I mean its a truck, its supposed to have some battle scars

Old 03-12-2012, 10:50 PM
Beginner

To be honest I'm not to pleased with detail shops. No offense to what you guys do but when they got wax on my hood luveres and left it in 90 degree heat and it's turned white I'm not happy with it. I'm much happier spending time to do it myself. I love cleaning my truck up it's not perfect anymore but I like keeping it nice. You can call it being **** but when I've had to replace parts cause of guarantees I'd rather do it myself.

Quick Reply: wax or polish