Truck Forums

Truck Forums (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/)
-   Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/)
-   -   what the hell (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/what-hell-16988/)

chevybkc5150 07-05-2011 06:14 PM

what the hell

Hey guys I'm new to this site and was looking for some opinions about what's goin on with my truck. I have an 89 chevy c1500 with a 350 Tbi 700r4 tranny 10 bolt possi rearend. Love the truck but she keeps giving me ****. After I was driving around today for about an hour she started to act like she was going to die and hitting the pedal there was no response she died shortly after that but started right back up and made it home fine. I also go through a fuel filter a week if I release the pressure by taking the filter off she runs like a champ.

Wiked 07-05-2011 06:19 PM

If she keeps dying check your MAF sensor if you have one along with your vacuum lines and your TPS (throttle position sensor).

also if its runs fine without the filter but runs bad with it on your fuel pump may be not pumping the efficient PSI that you need.

Thats all i can think of at the moment

cubpak89 07-05-2011 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by chevybkc5150 (Post 68987)
Hey guys I'm new to this site and was looking for some opinions about what's goin on with my truck. I have an 89 chevy c1500 with a 350 Tbi 700r4 tranny 10 bolt possi rearend. Love the truck but she keeps giving me ****. After I was driving around today for about an hour she started to act like she was going to die and hitting the pedal there was no response she died shortly after that but started right back up and made it home fine. I also go through a fuel filter a week if I release the pressure by taking the filter off she runs like a champ.

if it helps i have alot of threads about this as my truck did the same thing when i first baught it
if you read there youll see all what i did to get it running alot better
but not 100% yet as i still need to replace the intake manifold gasket then all the leaks should thereticaly be good

chevybkc5150 07-05-2011 06:24 PM

Also here's a list of stuff that's been done. New cap, Rotor,plug wires,plugs,new ignition module,new pick up coil,new fuel filter, new Egr, new throttle body base Gasket, compression test was good , there is a tiny tear in fuel pump screen wich might be why I go through so many filters , all codes have been cleared since all the new sensors I've put in it including temp sensor.

chevybkc5150 07-05-2011 06:25 PM

I didn't think it had a MAR being a 89

chevybkc5150 07-05-2011 06:26 PM

I meant MAF sorry

chevybkc5150 07-05-2011 07:09 PM

Also had another question when I put the new ignition module on I forgot to put the dielectric grease on it could this cause it to over heat?

Wiked 07-05-2011 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by chevybkc5150 (Post 68996)
Also had another question when I put the new ignition module on I forgot to put the dielectric grease on it could this cause it to over heat?

no not really the grease helps keep moisture and debris out also it keeps the connections clean and help give a constant perfect connection and also they wont get stuck together over time

Mr_Shamrock 07-05-2011 08:22 PM

It sounds fuel related to me. I would get your fuel pressure checked. If that checks out then check the fuel pressure regulator. Also you do need dielectric grease on the ignition control module to keep the heat down.

Wiked 07-05-2011 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mr_Shamrock (Post 69007)
Also you do need dielectric grease on the ignition control module to keep the heat down.

i learn something new everyday

chevybkc5150 07-05-2011 09:02 PM

Thanks Mr.shamrock I think its fuel related also just for the simple fact that when I remove the fuel filter and blow through it and put it back on it runs perfect for a couple of days maybe the pump isn't strong enough to push through the filter once it gets a little dirty. I'm trying to get a hold of a pressure tester let u know what I find out. The PSI is suppose to be 11 to 18 right? And when u pinch the return line and the pressure stays the same that's a bad regulator right ?

cubpak89 07-05-2011 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by chevybkc5150 (Post 69010)
Thanks Mr.shamrock I think its fuel related also just for the simple fact that when I remove the fuel filter and blow through it and put it back on it runs perfect for a couple of days maybe the pump isn't strong enough to push through the filter once it gets a little dirty. I'm trying to get a hold of a pressure tester let u know what I find out. The PSI is suppose to be 11 to 18 right? And when u pinch the return line and the pressure stays the same that's a bad regulator right ?

i think it is sposed to be anywhere between 9-13 tbis are low pressure systems

chevybkc5150 07-06-2011 03:34 PM

So now my truck is throwing code 32 and 45 Egr and rich exhaust is it possible that the regulator is bad and throwing to much fuel which is making the CPU throw those codes cause the Egr is brand New.

cubpak89 07-06-2011 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by chevybkc5150 (Post 69038)
So now my truck is throwing code 32 and 45 Egr and rich exhaust is it possible that the regulator is bad and throwing to much fuel which is making the CPU throw those codes cause the Egr is brand New.

possibly i would suggest it may be the o2 sensors are goin bad as i know when they do go bad they will send eather a left or right bank rich or lean combo and will send the cpu a wrong mix of air fuel ratio to send to the tbi

Wiked 07-06-2011 05:30 PM

Usually when your O2s go bad your gas mileage goes down the crapper.

O2 sensors make your engine run a bit lean because thats when it runs best.
When your O2 goes you run rich which explains the lower gas mileage but you also want to get that fixed because since its running rich and not enough air is getting in all that unburnt fuel goes into your cats which can melt your catalyst which can also plug your exhaust. I had it happen to me once and it is not fun and its expensive thats why my Calais is sitting on the side of my house

chevybkc5150 07-06-2011 10:01 PM

I'm running straight exhaust no muffler no cats I'm gonna replace the o2 and rebuild the throttle body let yall know what happens. Thanx for the input. Also is it possible for a bad o2 or bad regulator to throw the Egr code since there would be to much fuel to recirculate?

chevybkc5150 07-06-2011 10:02 PM

Gas mileage is in the crapper too.

white_noyez 07-07-2011 08:41 AM

it doesnt have a MAF but it does have a MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor that is attached to the throttle body via vacuum hose. When you have to change your fuel filter is the filter all gunked up? Or just to unpressurize the line? Check your send and return lines. If the return line is messed up depending on whats going on it will over pressurize or under pressurize your system. Take the filter off could be releasing the pressure untill it builds again. Also maybe your tank vents no good or clogged if it has one and its creating so much of a vacuum lock that fuel cant but pulled from it anymore. Maybe your fuel cap is bad?

Just a few things to check besides intake manifold and stuff. You can check for a gasket leak by spraying some either all around the throttle body and intake. If it revs up.. you got a leak. If not your fine and look into those fuel issues.