What kind of rustproffing do you use? - Truck Forums

Old 12-27-2016, 04:11 PM
Beginner

Default What kind of rustproffing do you use?

In the market for a new used Sierra or Silverado. Right now my price range puts me in a 2008 or there abouts. I see many with no apparent rust but I know that secretly there is rust getting ready to pop through as soon as I buy it. I looked at one truck that had been treated every year with a pump sprayer full of motor oil. A little googleing showed that this is not a rare practice. it even said that a truck with rust inside panels could be stopped by an oil spray which would soak through the rust to base metal and thus, the rust would be stopped. I then googled rustproofing sites with indicate that rustproofing is still common practice and does a quality job of stopping rust. But my concern is whether these rustproofers do a good jod of getting into all the important nooks and crannies like tail gates, rockers, INSIDE frames, the tops of fenders and quarters insde the double walls, etc. So, please talk to me about rustproofing. Can I truely buy a 8-10 year old truck and put a stop to any rust? What is the best affordable process? Thanks
Old 12-30-2016, 01:38 PM
Beginner

My father in law owns a body shop and to prevent rust on older model vehicles there isn't any better way oil spray is a great way to prevent rusting however a good coat of rust reformer never hurt.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:23 AM
Beginner

I purchased a 2000 silverado that had the undercarriage sprayed with oil but paint the was coming off. I cleaned it all off then painted with a frame restore paint and then covered with Rusteze. Looks beautiful.