Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Whats up around here?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 05:46 PM
Default Whats up around here?

I've been here a week...there has been maybe 30 new posts in that week...this is a forum with over 3ooo members!

I noticed that the admin here has not logged in since january.....is this place soon-to-be-shut -down?...just askin

Confused in Texas

Old 03-03-2007, 07:55 PM
Default RE: Whats up around here?

I have no idea Argon! It certainly is slow at times. Maybe some of the older guys will know what's going on. There are forums out there with over 30,000 members, but I have found that there are to many immature dumb asses who all think there trucks will run 9's. I like this site because from what I've noticed, most of us are hard working middle class American's on a budget, trying to make our trucks faster and we are realistic about it.

Old 03-03-2007, 08:45 PM

Yeah,guys seem to be civil to each other around here as well.
I'm up for a good cuss fit sometimes,but many forums really get out of hand.

Old 03-03-2007, 09:40 PM

They sure do bro, they sure do. By the way, where do you work as a GM tech?? Also, do you know much about reflashing a PCM back to stock, such as the cost, how long it takes, etc...

Old 03-03-2007, 10:00 PM

I'm at a chevy/pontiac/buick/gmc store in Crockett,Tx

We are pretty liberal (cheap) about programming...we'll usually do it for .5 (26.50)....We may charge an hour to a body shop with an insurance claim or something (56 bucks).

We'll usually recal a tire size for free...

I realize most dealers break it off in ya though.

A typical pcm flash takes about 20 minutes,depending on the internet connection speed and how "modern" the truck is.A new Denali will take longer than a 98 Cavelier,but not too bad.

Here's the run-down..

Hook tech 2 (Gm scanner) up to truck and "retrieve info" from the truck....such as the vin,pass-key codes,etc.

Take tech 2 into office and power it up...hook up an rs-232 cable from pc to tech 2.

Go to Gm website and go into "TIS 2000"...It takes maybe 5 minutes for the website to establish communications with the tech 2

Select what is to be flashed...A typical 07 p/u may have you select from..
pcm
ebcm (brakes)
ipc (cluster)
Radio
Onstar
DDM(Driver door module)
Pdm (passenger)
Seat module
Dvd player
liftgate modules on suburbans
Sdm (airbags)
Bcm (body control)
Rke (keyless entry)

select pcm...then you'll either get a page explaining whats being installed..such as a fix for a phantom code./.....OR you may get a page saying that the pcm ALREADY HAS THIS PROGRAM,and that you should not continue.

The pooter then downloads the program to the tech 2...it has a progress bar like anything else would.

Now,unhook,and take the tech 2 back to the vehicle...hook er up,and hit "install software"...a progress bar then comes up on the tech 2,and it installs (maybe 7 minutes)

Sometimes,codes set in other modules during programming that need to be cleared...

And sometimes you get warning to disable a dvd player or something before you program.

Old 03-03-2007, 10:53 PM

Thank you so much for all the help. I will try and shop around and see if anyone will do it for less. Once again, thanks for your time!

Old 03-04-2007, 12:57 AM

I think the 3000 members are spread across all the makes, there are only about 20-30 or so guys who actually respond here to this particular part often. All the guys at this area seem to have the same mindset and mean well. I think when I started here in nov. this site was falling apart, but now seems to be gaining strenght again. If you stay here a while you can help us grow as well. Just stick around as see if this is right for you. I am not anybody related to the creation of this site, just want to help make it better as I like the guys who post here. I think it will get better if you give it time.

Old 03-04-2007, 03:18 AM

I started here in dec. of last year, and it seemed pretty active. After a while it slowed down to almost nothing, but now it seems to really be picking back up.