Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Wheel hop/ Skip is 4 wheel drive

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 07:30 AM
Default Wheel hop/ Skip is 4 wheel drive

Well I'm new to this truck forum things.... So do bare with me. But I just bought a 08 Chevy Silverado Z71 with the 5.3L. I do work at Stylin' Trucks formaly known as Stylin' Concepts. But when I put my truck in 4 Wheel-Drive, and turn the wheel somewhat sharp, my truck basically skips/hops or whatnot and will full out stop me and I pretty much have to floor it to move at all. Granite this is my first 4WD truck, but I have had an AWD drive car ( I know it is completely different) and I have driven other 4WD drive trucks before and never seen this problem. I know it will happen in 4WD, but this bad? Does anyone know if this is normal or not???

Old 02-28-2008, 08:04 AM
Default RE: Wheel hop/ Skip is 4 wheel drive

Yes it is normal. Im gonna try my best to exaplin why....here goes....

First of all when you make a turn, especially a tight turn, all four wheels must travel at different speeds to make the turn.

Now, 4x4 and 4wd are completely different creatures. Your car was 4wd and despite the fact that all four wheels would drive the car, there was some way (either electronic control, center differential, ect..) that the drivetrain was prevented from binding when making a turn. The car could make a turn and allow all four wheels to spin at different speeds.

With a truck, there is no way to limit wheel speed on all four tires (unless you use auto 4wd, but I'll explain that in a minute). There is a direct link from front axle to rear axle when in you put it in "4x4". So two wheels must spin at the same speed (one front and one rear) at all times to prevent binding. Well when you make a turn on dry pavement, all four wheels must spin at different speeds, but those two wheels are trying to spin at the same speed. Now you have binding which is fighting the engine and steering.

So you hit the gas harder, well you can't feel it sometimes, but one wheel is slipping on the pavement in order to complete the turn. Thats why they recommend using Auto 4wd on variable condition roads and 4x4 only when the driving surface is wet or slippery.

If your truck has Auto4wd, try using it when roads aren't consistanly slippery. What this does is engage 4wd during acceleration, then it will disengage the front axle until the wheel speed sensor detect wheel slip or until you accelerate, the it will engage again. But the cool part is when you turn, the truck will engage and disengage the front axle several times very quickly to keep your traction but prevent the front axle from binding.

Ok, that should cover it I think.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:39 AM

That would be kinda crappy but I guess thats what you get if you want a 4x4. Hope it works out.

P.S. Getus some discounts for stylin trucks. We love that place

Old 02-28-2008, 09:48 AM

Feel free to call me at work, I work everyday but Teusday and Thursday 9-6. the phone number is 1-800-4STYLIN and my extension is 9343 and leave me a voice mail or if I am in please wait on hold and I will get to you ASAP!!!

Old 03-02-2008, 12:52 AM

ORIGINAL: jcbst12

Yes it is normal. Im gonna try my best to exaplin why....here goes....

First of all when you make a turn, especially a tight turn, all four wheels must travel at different speeds to make the turn.

Now, 4x4 and 4wd are completely different creatures. Your car was 4wd and despite the fact that all four wheels would drive the car, there was some way (either electronic control, center differential, ect..) that the drivetrain was prevented from binding when making a turn. The car could make a turn and allow all four wheels to spin at different speeds.

With a truck, there is no way to limit wheel speed on all four tires (unless you use auto 4wd, but I'll explain that in a minute). There is a direct link from front axle to rear axle when in you put it in "4x4". So two wheels must spin at the same speed (one front and one rear) at all times to prevent binding. Well when you make a turn on dry pavement, all four wheels must spin at different speeds, but those two wheels are trying to spin at the same speed. Now you have binding which is fighting the engine and steering.

So you hit the gas harder, well you can't feel it sometimes, but one wheel is slipping on the pavement in order to complete the turn. Thats why they recommend using Auto 4wd on variable condition roads and 4x4 only when the driving surface is wet or slippery.

If your truck has Auto4wd, try using it when roads aren't consistanly slippery. What this does is engage 4wd during acceleration, then it will disengage the front axle until the wheel speed sensor detect wheel slip or until you accelerate, the it will engage again. But the cool part is when you turn, the truck will engage and disengage the front axle several times very quickly to keep your traction but prevent the front axle from binding.

Ok, that should cover it I think.

so are you say it's better to keep the truck in
auto 4wd , sorry to as this but this is my first 4w
drive truck.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:56 AM

That is normal like everyone has said. Since this is your first 4WD, it will take you a while to get use to it. Also, be sure when you engage the 4WD, that it is in the H or high range. The L or low range is for very difficult situations.

Old 03-02-2008, 09:41 AM

yeah, ive had to use the 4 Lo before and know about that, pulled a few people out of ditches already, haha, what a trip...