Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

When buying a truck..

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 11:08 PM

It doesn't sound too bad. I'd certainly look into something that doesn't have a terrible amount of rust on it.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:58 AM

I am not sure, but I don't think it has A LOT of rust on it. But what is the advantages of one that doesnt have much rust? Does that say something specificly about the vehicly such as it has been driven hard or been kept outside instead of kept in a shop and is more likely to have more problems or...? thanks.

Last edited by Extacie; 04-15-2009 at 10:16 AM.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:20 AM

Its easier to work on. If you have a lot of underbody and underhood rust, it'll drive you crazy trying to break bolts loose and free stuck parts.

Old 04-15-2009, 03:39 PM

Oh, okay I see. Thanks. Now that I think about it, that is very true. Me and my friend were just taking the running boards off of his truck and the bolts were like locked there bc of how rusted they were and we put so much torque to them that they just snapped and then when we were taking off his pipe we had a lot of rust falling into our eyes. It was annoying.

Old 04-15-2009, 04:52 PM

Yeah. I have worked on cars from the deep North. One was from Canada... A simple brake job. I was ready to drop it off the jacks once I got the caliper off.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:45 AM

Okay, so yesterday I went and looked at a 96 F-150 with 4WD and ext cab. I looked for everything that you guys have suggested I look for except for rust on the underside of the door I believe is where you said? And I didn't check where my dad told me to, bc I forgot, he told me to take out the place where you check the oil and see if it is smoking or bubbling when the engine is running. So the only two problems with the truck that I could find is A)Its pretty rusted out on the wheel wells. B)When I was driving it a sign comes on that says service engine. I asked him about this and he said he had brought it by a mechanic and they ran the codes and a O2 Sensor is bad. I'm going to have my dad look at it and we'll probably bring it by autozone to make sure that's the problem, but I really like the truck, and I offered him $2400.00 and he took it, so I told him I need to have my dad and the mechanic check it first.
So basically if I would buy this truck then I had one question as of right now: What would my different options be on replacing the rust on the wheel wells and how much would each cost?
According to my friend, I can by the whole piece and put it on myself (If that is the case, what is that inpaticular piece called) or I can have a body shop do it.
Is there any other options? Thanks, Tyler.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by EuroGoldLS
Yeah. I have worked on cars from the deep North. One was from Canada... A simple brake job. I was ready to drop it off the jacks once I got the caliper off.
Lol. I feel your pain. (Sorta)