Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Wierd popping/smacking noise coming from end driver side?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 08:00 PM
Beginner
Default Wierd popping/smacking noise coming from end driver side?

I've tried searching as to what the sounds may be, but i'm pretty noob when it comes to the inner workings of my truck, unfortunately. I dont have a garage to take a closer look either. I just want to get a better idea of what it is before I go to a stealership.

the problem: basically I hear a popping/smacking noise that sounds like it is coming from the front end on the driver side of the truck (2004 sierra ext 4.8 @ 130,00 miles). I've never heard this before, then didnt drive the truck for about 3 months (it just sat parked). I went up to the mountains (driving on snow) and then on the way down, all of a sudden, I started hearing the popping noise.

I can't reproduce the sounds, it just happens at random , bumps and turning have no affect it. It usually wont happen right off the bat after starting up, usually 4-5 minutes into driving it will start to make the sound, 30mph+ and will continue at random for the rest of the drive.

I took a small video, so maybe you can hear it.

i don't think the video really helps at all unfortunately, but you can give it a try

Old 01-15-2013, 09:08 PM
TruckForum Addict

wow that's really crazy ... I've never heard that before. I'm thinking it's a differential/CV axle/transfer case/transmission type noise, only because it sounds like something it banging with no relationship to turning, bumps or throttle. If I were to diagnose this, I'd get it up on jack stands or hoist it up in the air and spin up the wheels as to simulate a driving situation, then get underneath it and listen for where it's coming from.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:13 PM
Administrator

Without seeing your truck in person for a proper diagnoses or even experiencing a test drive.
In your description you didn't say it was a 4x4 so I'm thincking it's just a front wheel bearing.

Like NullHead said
Get it up in the air and spin the wheel or even try rocking the wheel left and right and up and down to see for any play or slop

Old 01-15-2013, 11:04 PM
Beginner

My apologies, it is a 2004 2wd 1500 sierra extended cab sle

I was thinking it could possibly be the bearing as well. Although I just had the whole hub replaced just under 2 years ago. Which, I think is weird, as I do not go off roading. :-/

Old 01-15-2013, 11:24 PM
Administrator

I'm not saying it is.. but it could still very well be a wheel bearing.
Manufacture's defect in the bearing assembly or simply installed just a little too tight and failed over the two yrs. You don't need to go off roading in order to make a wheel bearing fail.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:02 AM

You could have a shock failing while cold.
However I could make out anything useful in the video clip, sorry.
Take it to a alignment shop or call around since some shops might give you a free inspection.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:35 AM
Beginner

Thanks guys! I'm taking it in on thursday to have it looked at, I'll let you know what comes of it.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:30 PM
Beginner

Took it in to the shop and the mechanic was unable to find the problem. It didnt seem to be any of the normal common problems that you find. He actually said it was something he has never heard before, and that the noise is made so randomly that he doesnt know what to associate it with. :-/ I do have a worn top ball joint, but he said that shouldnt be making that random of a noise... I've included a sound file of my driving with the recorder on the front of the driver side.

Just a few of the times that it makes the sound, its a little better than the video I provided 35, 44, 49, 1:19, 1:26, 1:37... and i was driving on a straight pretty smooth road.

http://www.uploadeasy.net/file.php?file=1w921.mp3

Last edited by spankey; 01-18-2013 at 11:33 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:40 AM
Banned

couple of options for you, either your truck has a tie rod end about to snap or you have a wheel bearing going bad. does it get worse the fast you go, disapear when you turn that direction, and only show up at 20mph plus?

Old 01-20-2013, 09:49 AM
Beginner

Originally Posted by kyled
couple of options for you, either your truck has a tie rod end about to snap or you have a wheel bearing going bad. does it get worse the fast you go, disapear when you turn that direction, and only show up at 20mph plus?

The thing is, it doesn't get worse the faster I go, Its so random that we can't associated anything with the sound. It just happens, and happens randomly... and it seems like it has to warm up before it starts happening. for example, I can usually drive 5 minutes without hearing anything... then all of a sudden it will start going. Yesterday I drove for about an hour and it didnt make a peep, then out of nowhere it started to make the noise :-/

I'm gonna leave the truck with the mechanic on wednesday to give him more time to figure it out. But when he checked it for an hour last time, he couldnt figure it out. I wish someone knew what it was :-/

Quick Reply: Wierd popping/smacking noise coming from end driver side?