Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Window tint

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 10:18 AM
Default Window tint

Has anyone ever done it on there own? I think im going to try it today im getting ready to go to advanced auto so any suggestions will help.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:41 AM
TruckForum Addict
Default RE: Window tint

I have always thought it was cheaper to just have some one do it for me. I paid $25 each for my front windows. Not sure how much the stuff is but is was not worth the savings to me to try and do it my self when i am just paying $50.

Old 02-17-2008, 12:37 PM

I'd check with your local authorities to make sure its legal.......... Many yrs ago, a friend of mine did her Camaro, and got stopped by a State Trooper that afternoon, and she was told, as he handed her the razor blade, Scrape it off or get arrested !!!!!!!!!!! Yep, she scraped em off, what a waste of time and $$$$$$$$$.... If i can post the pix of my '85 GMC S-15 i had customized, it also had tinted windows, guess i just got lucky...... Jim

Old 02-17-2008, 03:32 PM

I wouldn't worry to much about getting pulled over. Just don't go too dark (like 5%, limo tint).
It's fairly easy to do, you just need LOTS of water and use a hair dryer to get rid of the small bubbles.
It'll also make it easier if you have someone help you.

Old 02-17-2008, 05:06 PM

The best thing to do is use baby shampoo by Johnson and Johnson and water only put like a cap full into a spray bottle then fill the rest with water. This will allow the tint to slide around while you are getting it into place. The best way to cut it out is to do it on the outside with the clear liner facing you roll the window all the way up and cut the two sides but leave yourself enough room to slide it into the window so you dont have alot of gap on each side then roll the window done so you can cut the top edge of the window then trim the left overs clean the inside really good so you dont get any dirt inside of the tint and peel the liner make sure your in a garage or something cause the wind will mess you up also dont let the tint fold over on itself or it will ruin it its actually pretty simple but lengthly i do it on the side for myself if you need anymore help pm me

Old 02-17-2008, 05:31 PM

Thanks guys it started raining so I had to postpone it. The baby shampoo sounds sounds good somebody also told me dish soap.

Old 02-17-2008, 08:46 PM

I got mine done on my car by a pro because its warrentied then. Im going to go to the same guy for the truck here soon. In my state you can do anything you want execpt the fronts you can only do the top 4". I did 5% limo tint on the backs and 35% on the fronts (all of it) because the 5% makes it not look so dark. I have only heard of a few people getting in trouble.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:09 AM

ORIGINAL: chevyrules

I'd check with your local authorities to make sure its legal.......... Many yrs ago, a friend of mine did her Camaro, and got stopped by a State Trooper that afternoon, and she was told, as he handed her the razor blade, Scrape it off or get arrested !!!!!!!!!!! Yep, she scraped em off, what a waste of time and $$$$$$$$$.... If i can post the pix of my '85 GMC S-15 i had customized, it also had tinted windows, guess i just got lucky...... Jim
That is a dick move on the troopers part! YOU CAN NOT BE ARRESTED FOR A NON MOVING TRAFFIC VIOLATION SUCH AS TINT! But it is good to be with in the legal limits! there has to be more to that story that got the cops attention in the first place.

We have an advantage with trucks at least in florida, if you have side mirrors then you can spray paint the rear windows black as far as the law is concerned because of the special clause for protecting our stored items that would be in a truck and not normally in a car.

So long as the fron windows are legal, 28%(FL) and the windshiled strip may not go past the AS1 line.

so, to the original question, don't do it yourself! have a pro do it cause yes it's cheaper initially but you will end up spending it again when it has to be redone in a few years. WARRANTY!

Old 02-18-2008, 09:17 AM

Hey Popo do you know how dark a safe bet would be for all over I do allot of traveling for work in in a different state every few months sometimes weeks

Thanks

Old 02-18-2008, 09:24 AM

Check you local laws about tint first. Then either practice on something, like just a piece of glass, or have someone who knows what they are doing help you. First time I did it a screwed it up. Removing this stuff is harder than applying it. Otherwise just pay to have it done. Cheap tint sucks, it will fade and crack easily. Get the better tint and if you have it done see what the warranty is on the tint. Good tint and good tint installers will result in a long lasting, cool tint job.

Quick Reply: Window tint