Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Wiring Question (a little advanced)

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 10:57 PM
General Truck/Classifieds Forum Moderator
Question Wiring Question (a little advanced)

So I have been wanting to add an interior light in my trailer. I have this idea to use a round 5 or 7 plug and a switch in the cab and a switch in the trailer. I am fairly good at this but the 2 switches have me confused. I would like to do it like it is done in a house.( you know the switch at both ends of the hall) I also want to put an indicator light or light up switch in the cab so I know if the light is on. so..........any ideas or experiance??????

Old 04-02-2009, 12:38 AM

Hey Chris - been trying to figure this one out for ya but I can't think of a way to do it with just a couple switches and bulbs. If I'm reading right, you want to be able to turn the light on or off from either switch, independently, right? I'm sure you can buy an electronic relay switcher or something that would do it. It would be easier to use your cab switch as a master power "ON" linked in series with another switch inside the trailer as your actual bulb on/off. I'm sure you've already considered that scenario...

Old 04-02-2009, 01:19 AM

hey Tom you got the idea right and I had not thought about that option......I kind of get stuck on one idea and dont think outside that "box" I would think that the idea is the same as in house wiring but I just forgot how to do it.....Im thinking of adding a relay too....just to make it more complicated

Old 04-02-2009, 11:38 AM

120v AC is completely different than 12v DC. All you need to do is to ground the light to the trailer, then run a hot wire from your source in the cab and then run a hot wire from the switch in the trailer. Even if both switches are on the light will not be adersely affected. When you put the switch in the truck you can get a switch that lights up when it is on. It's that easy.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:40 AM

well after much pondering I think I know how I am going to wire my trailers interior lights........ I am going to only put a switch in the trailer with the lights then at the "end" of the line...which will end in the cab I will put an indicator light that will tell me if I left the light on...I kind of get in a hurry sometimes or if the switch gets bumped...so it would be power to switch in trailer/switch to light/light to indicator light in cab...........this way I only have to move thru the traier wiring connector 2 times ................I will try to post some pics as I do this....why.........just becouse I guess