Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wiring a third brake light

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 04:55 AM
Default RE: wiring a third brake light

I think so...but if ya havea test light,better check it

Old 11-20-2007, 11:29 PM

how do i wire the switch in, for now its only wired into the courtousy lights so when the door opens they go on, if you click the lights on they go on.but a switch to turn them on and not the interior lights?

Old 11-21-2007, 05:09 AM

on 90's models,a switch on the dash gave you the option tohave the cargo on when the door was opened....I was just thinking about the 3rd lite..if you want the cargo to work independently,it will take another switch

Old 11-21-2007, 03:32 PM

i got a switch but i didnt understand the dome light power. is it all positive power or is one a neg and the other a pos? cause i wasnt sure how to wire that switch up to get it to work without blowing the whole courtousy circuit. and on the brake light do i just ground the other wire?

Old 11-21-2007, 06:01 PM

ran into a kink with the brake part also. wired it all up to the white hot lead. and now. whenever connected the brake lights STAY on and the tails are lit up like brakes. disconnect and turn on the lights and they are dimmer.? checked the fuses all are in tact. is this the switch itself gone bad?

Old 11-21-2007, 08:57 PM

well the brake light itself turned out to be a shortage in the brake switch itself just not sure how to wire that external switch to the cargo light.

Old 11-27-2007, 03:28 PM

argon now my brake switch is very sensitive sometimes the pedals weight is enough to turn them on. i put a spring on the pedal to correct it for now. but didnt know of a good way to adjust the pedal on a non spring type pedal.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:43 PM

the switch is not in correctly...the "U: clip goes over the rod,but also make sure that square peg slots in the grooves

Old 11-27-2007, 07:48 PM

If you got a switch with a light in it the ground for the light can be causing the lights to stay in brake mode.

Old 11-27-2007, 11:23 PM

double checked the switch and its sitting on the clip and in place snug. and as far as it being a grounding issue i thought this at first till i realized the pedal had a little play to it and when pulling the pedal up the lights go off... the spring i put on the pedal today at least is keeping them from staying on for now.

Quick Reply: wiring a third brake light