Classic Trucks Any make, any model.

84 Chevy C20 w/ 350 SBC

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 02:04 PM
Beginner
Default 84 Chevy C20 w/ 350 SBC

I have a 84 chevy and I'm moving to Tulsa Oklahoma from south Texas. This truck is very close to me and it has lived in south Texas nearly it's whole life. I'd hate to take it to the cold, snowy climate of Oklahoma and cause damage to it. I've never had to weatherproof a truck so I'm not sure how to prepare it for the cold. Is there anything I can do to my truck to survive and run in the cold? Anything and everything helps.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:52 PM
Administrator

I would either go to a local Tulsa garage or do it yourself and replace all your truck fluids
Any moisture in these fluids will cause you nothing but grief in the freezing temperatures.

Your cooling system should be good for -20
Your gear oil in the differential should be checked and if your brake fluid has been flushed and replaced with fresh new brake fluid your braking ablility will be compromised in the colder temperatures.

If Tulsa uses road salt to combat icy roads... I would have your truck oil sprayed for rust prevention.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:13 AM
Beginner

Alright. Thanks. And one other thing. Fuel lines. I've never had it happen to me but I've heard that they can freeze up. I'm not sure if it's true or not cause I've never experienced the issue before. If it is true is there any way to fix the problem or bypass it somehow.

Old 12-03-2015, 11:28 PM
Beginner

When I lived in New England (lots of salt on the road), once a month the underside of the family cars/trucks got an underside bath. I took a 50' garden hose, with a drill punched 1/16" holes @45 degrees every 6" to form a "V" pattern . Connected the hose to a water tap, capped the other end. The hose was pulled under the vehicle, water turned on, then allowed to squirt up to the underside of the vehicle, wiggle the hose around to rinse more area. I washed the underside of the vehicle inside the garage. The car was parked on a large tarp with the tarp's four sides folded vertically to contain the water. A small opening on the tarp was used to allow the water to drain out onto the driveway. Worked quite will for my stable.

Old 12-07-2015, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Tulsa is cold??? What're you smoking? Lol

I'm sure it only snows a few times a year there, which will be fine for you. As a rule of thumb, I never allow salt to stay on my vehicle longer than a couple days. Many car washes offer underbody flushes in their higher tier washes as well.

To tag on what Dragonfly said, I'm in minnesota quite often in the winter and the self washes up there have 6" tall PVC carts that are on casters- you hook the power washer up to the cart and roll it under different parts of your car. It's quite effective.

I've also been known to run a sprinkler under my car in the winter