Dodge Dakota Forum Discuss the Dodge Dakota here.

Looking for suggestions on 99 Dakota R/T

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 08:36 PM
Default Looking for suggestions on 99 Dakota R/T

I've had this truck since 2001 and I've done a few things cosmetically to it but it is still pushing the stock 360ci. The truck has 200k on it but very well maintained.

I was hoping to squeeze some more hp out of the engine (not an engine guy) and just wanted some advice on some upgrades I could toss in there. I am not an engine guy but I would like to attempt the work on my own. I know I could do it with some help and info though.

So far the only thing I have done to upgrade the engine was install new headers and exhaust, new plugs, wires and my father put a new cam in it.

I was thinking about dropping a Holly on it but need info on the correct size. I have a comp 500 in my garage but I think it might be to much for it. Although it is a 360 it should handle it.

Also thought about a new cold air intake and filter, Alternator as well.

Any tips would be great. I have about a grand to spend on motor upgrades knowing that it isn't a lot. My ultimate goal is to get about 300 - 350 hp from it. A buddy said I shouldn't push it much more then that because of the age of the motor.

Thanks all.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:32 PM

No replies and 12 views?
Not sure if there are any motor heads in here but some info would be cool.

Maybe I'll head to a real truck site and talk to some people who are serious about this stuff.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:37 PM

for that amount of money, and what you've done allready, I'd have the heads done...port/polish and maybe a 10ovr bore... Also the cold air intake is a good idea! Also upg to 8mm plug wires... drive shaft/ujoints... rear gear ratio...

There's alot you can do with your grand, if you take the time to research on the best places to pick up parts... ie...NOT Jegs...LOL

As far as the age of the motor, and not trying to get too much out of her... as you upgrade, you keep changing out bolts, replacing gaskets, replacing other misc wear items such as belts, tentioners, chain, etc... you are extending the life of your motor. I'm not saying she's a 500hp beast, but...you should have no problems with a 375-400 consistant level of fun!