Dodge/ Ram 1500 Forum Discuss the Dodge Ram and Ram 1500 here.

1500 - Problems new or old

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 10:16 AM
Beginner
Post 1500 - Problems new or old

Hi all, Im in the market for a new vehicle. Looking at a 2019 Ram 1500. I have heard a little bit of everything in regards to reviews. I'm looking for honest/unbiased info as it relates to the quality/standard of this truck. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-06-2019, 10:11 AM
Beginner

This should be an interesting topic if people chime in. I have a 2002 ext cab short bed Silverado with only 67k miles and as much as I have liked the truck I don't know that I would be inclined to buy another one or not. My 5.3L motor has been great but the 2002 model at least was terrible for turn radius making it hard to park in a lot of places. I had to replace a front wheel bearing around 50k miles and have replaced the annoying intermediate drive shaft due to the knocking noise problem. My clear coat is peeling off of the truck and it looks awful. This is mostly on the hood and roof right now. The little cheap tailgate handle retainer clips broke and then the bezel that surrounds this broke upon removal. The daytime running lights used to fill up with water which causes them to blow the bulbs and I bought new replacement lens and put some electrical tape around the seals to keep it from happening again. I bought this truck new and am just generally unhappy with Chevrolet right now. My motor does have a problem now but I believe it is due to spark plugs(hopefully). At first I thought it was bad gas, or the ETHANOL gas that we have to use nowadays. My truck sits a lot unused and I just figured some seafoam or injector cleaner and some fresh 100% gas would cure the problem but after three tanks it hasn't. So I started reading and inquiring and thought it might be the ignition coils which there is one for each cylinder on these trucks. But after doing some swapping around with the coils and the plugs, I believe it is the plugs. I will find out soon when I get all the plugs replaced. I can access most of them fairly easily but may run into trouble replacing the ones nearest to the firewall. The last time I put plugs in was when I put long tube headers on.

Okay sorry for the rant and rave about me and my truck!

I am curious what you end up with and why. My first thought to buy a new truck would be to get a Ford but I would do some research myself if I were indeed going to buy one.
But my first suggestion to you is to go sit in and drive all of the ones you might be interested in, then narrow your choice from there.
Good luck and please report back....