Dodge/ Ram 1500 Forum Discuss the Dodge Ram and Ram 1500 here.

2011 GM HD or Ram HD ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 09:11 PM
Default 2011 GM HD or Ram HD ?

I'm looking to buy a new truck in a few months. 4x4 crew cab, long bed. Want to make sure I get the best available. I'm not sure what Ford are offering for 2011, but their diesel trucks have a lackluster reputation.

So, I am comparing the 2011 GM (Silverado / Sierra HD) to the Ram HD. The GM offereings are supposedly substantially improved over the previous years - more performance from the Duramax diesel, beefier Allison transmission, full boxed steel frame, beefed up brakes etc etc.

I suppose most of the choice will come down to the engine and transmission. so.......

Is there a significant difference in durability and maintenance requirements between the Cummins inline 6 and the Diramax V8 ?

The both have 4v per cylinder OHV designs, and the Duramax differs in that it has an intercooler.

Is there a significant difference in the transmissions - is the Allison all hype and name only. So which transmission is better, if any ?

Your input appreciated

Old 12-28-2010, 08:07 PM

Hereis a link to Chevrolet vs Ford in in an evenly matched test to see which would tow better. This should answer a lot of your questions on the Chevy. They wouldn't let the Dodge 3500 play, as it was not rated to tow the weight that was being used. Also, the Allison is a very good transmission, and is far from just hype.

http://blogs.dieselpowermag.com/6729...oke/index.html

Old 12-29-2010, 09:18 AM
Administrator

We recently traded in an 06 Duramax that had absolutely no issues with it for a 2011 F350 Crew Cab XLT Lariat. Why would a family who is GM loyal, GM related, and has owned 25 GM trucks since 1988 buy a Ford?

Here's why:

It's a better truck. The new powerstroke is the first Ford Diesel since the infamous 7.3 to have been developed completely in house by Ford. The 6.0 and 6.4 were Northstar engines. It has also been in development for 8 years. Every General Motors since 1996 has had loose steering and GM refuses to fix it. The Ford rides, handles, and steers like a cadillac. Very precise, very powerful. Also, what is very important in the power battle between the powerstroke and the Duramax is the power and torque curves... While the Duramax gets its max power and torque at certain RPMs... the Powerstroke gets it everywhere. Just yesterday I was pulling an unloaded 12,000lb horse trailer through the hills of Tennessee on I75. It's not easy keeping 65mph, but this truck, with the trailer, NEVER DOWNSHIFTED. Speaking of shifting, I have it in good source from the owner of a Semi Transmission mechanic shop that the Torqueshift Transmission and the Allison are basically identical. Two years ago, right here in Grand Rapids Michigan, Ford gave $9million worth of bussiness to the company I work for and my dad runs to create molds for every plastic component of the huge heavy duty mirrors and the giant chrome grille. we've also done numerous other parts for the mustang and other ford models. Even better, they paid IN FULL and ON TIME. Any GM supplier will tell you that they rarely did that even when they were doing good. Furthermore, the GM dealer around here is a bunch of know nothing ******. When dealing, they act like they are the ones that hold the cards. They refused to do service on my truck unless I paid for a $1200 ball joint package as well.

Basically, GM has screwed over their customers, their suppliers, and their vehicles. I step into a new GM vehicle and can smell the cheap, cutting corners methods that go into their construction. It makes me sick. Luckily, Ford has pulled through and has finally re entered the heavy duty truck market with a diesel truck well worth the sticker price. I urge you, don't count it out because of the older Northstar engine problems. Go drive this truck, you won't be dissapointed.

If you want to see pictures of our new workhorse, I have a post in the Off-topic section with pictures

Old 12-29-2010, 01:33 PM

Thanks for the continuing input fellas. Due to sluggish economy I have not purchased yet. Put off until 2011.

Like many truck buyers I decided that I'd really like the Ford body, the GM/Allison transmission, and the Dodge/Cummins engine.

Life is so complex.

From what I hear Dodge is built in Mexico. I've never been a fan of rubber belt driven OHC diesel engines. Something inside me says that a good diesel engine should be all cast iron and pushrods !