Dodge/ Ram 1500 Forum Discuss the Dodge Ram and Ram 1500 here.

New engine? WHAT?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 08:29 PM
Default New engine? WHAT?!

Went to the mechanic a while ago because the oil light on my truck is acting goofy. It's a 1995 Ram 1500 4x4.

Once the engine is warm and I am at a stop light in "drive" the oil light will come on. As soon as I let go of the brake and hit the gas, the light goes away. The guy said that I would need a new engine! I can't remember exactly what he said though. Any ideas on this?

I tried running the fault codes using this site:

http://dodgeram.info/Engine-Gas/OBDI/pcm_fault_code.htm

but I ended up getting numbers that are not on that list.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:13 PM
Beginner
Unhappy possible low oil pressure

First is your engine making any odd noises ? Have an manual oil pressure gauge installed to see exact engine oil pressure. If pressure is indeed low
you might have an oil pump problem. If the pressure is normal with your test gauge your oil pressure sending unit is bad. You didn't say how many
miles were on the engine ? To get to the oil pump the oil pan will have to be removed. Don't jump to conclusions, but this is a problem that should
be fixed right away with minimal running of the engine to prevent engine
damage

Old 02-09-2011, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Tom Nicholl
First is your engine making any odd noises ? Have an manual oil pressure gauge installed to see exact engine oil pressure. If pressure is indeed low
you might have an oil pump problem. If the pressure is normal with your test gauge your oil pressure sending unit is bad. You didn't say how many
miles were on the engine ? To get to the oil pump the oil pan will have to be removed. Don't jump to conclusions, but this is a problem that should
be fixed right away with minimal running of the engine to prevent engine
damage
Engine is at ~168,000. It makes a clicking noise when it runs. I will look for a manual oil pressure gauge. I have driven it a couple times since it was diagnosed unfortunately.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:22 AM
Beginner
Default Oil light coming on

With 168,000 miles I can see why a mechanic would say " get a new engine " But that depends on what care the engine got on its way to
the present mileage. I have seen engine that I have owned and drove
that have over 400,000 miles and ran great having no major problems.
And that have never been taken part for repair. It all depends on changing
the oil and filter at a proper intervals. I think at this point I would suggest
you or a mechanic remove a cover from the top of the engine. (which everone is easier ) The cover is known as valve cover or rocker arm cover, same thing. Then see how much "gunk" build up is in there. This might tell you
if the engine is near death or if its reasonable clean you can pursue the
test gauge. If the rocker cover is gunked up you don't want to spend alot of money but want to keep driving it change the oil and filter and if it not to cold where your at put in a heavier grade of oil and as the weather warms maybe some STP or like product to thicken up the oil. (15W40) oil.
Good Luck, Tom

Old 03-25-2011, 11:13 PM

Sounds like either a pump or sending unit problem to me but could also be clogged oil ports in the block or heads as well. Best bet is to take the valve cover off and check for deposit build up if that checks out then test it with a pressure tester. That sould give you a pretty clear answer

Old 03-27-2011, 05:09 PM
Ford and Dodge Truck Forum Moderator

what were the codes that you pulled?