Dodge/ Ram General Tech Dodge tech talk within.

86 D250

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 05:41 PM
Default 86 D250

I got my first pickup about 8 months ago. An 86 Ram 250 with a 2bbl 5.2L. It was a dual fuel, but I've removed the propane tanks because they were just dead weight. I had some electrical troubles that have been fixed by replacing the alternator, and voltage regulator. I've also replaced the spark plugs, and the truck is running great other than a rough idle problem. I've just started to notice this problem, the engine is almost close to stalling at times just while idling. Could this be because of the liter of methyl hydrate I added to my full tank of gas? Other than that I don't know what is causing this. The battery has gone through a lot5 of abuse from the prior electrical problems, and it is the battery that I got with the truck (not new, 8 months ago). Also I get a very slow start. I'm thinking my battery is on the way to dieing which is causing the rough idle and the slow starts, or my starter is also on the way to dieing. headlights arn't dim when the truck is off, so the battery seems to be fine. I'm at a loss for the rough idle, which is the reason for my post. Truck has no 02 sensor. Starter probably needs a rebuild, or replacement. Some ideas would be great so I can get the engine running smooth.