Dodge/ Ram Heavy Duty Discuss the 2500 and 3500 Heavy Duty Dodge/Ram Pickups as well as the Cummins diesel.

<Repost> Diesel or Gasoline

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 02:51 PM
Beginner
Default <Repost> Diesel or Gasoline

Hey All -

I'm a newbie here and not sure if my original post was in the wrong category or if it belonged here instead.....

Good Day All.

I'm considering a, (new to me), used truck, (never had a truck before). I'm looking at the RAM 2500's models. Based on what I've read in various articles and forums, I would say that most of my needs fit the gasoline engine. However, I really am still leaning toward the diesel engine and here's why....

First, I 'll give you my reasoning's for wanting a truck in the first place.
1. Wanting to take long vacations with my family (of 4). We're planning a long, multi-thousand mile, trip out West this summer.
2. Wanting to occasionally pull an RV Trailer, (one that sleeps 4 to 6). This would be used for those same, future vacations, along with occasional weekends with the family.
3. To have a truck for general, multipurpose use, and occasional light towing.

I'm looking at used and, either way, my price range is likely going to put me in a truck that has near or over 100k miles. (probably over 150k if I go with Diesel)

Now, the first 3 reasons I gave certainly point toward a gasoline engine. However, the one item that keeps leading me back to consider diesel is uber-high-mileage and uber-longevity.

Also, just to understand my personality\tendencies, I'm the type of person that if I get a good solid, reliable vehicle, I will drive it and keep it for 20+ years. (I've had two cars that lasted 13+ years and were only retired for reasons beyond my control ;-)

So, my question is this; Is the last reason enough to justify a diesel engine, or do you think that a gas engine will meet that need, and give me 200k Miles, (on top of what it already has when I purchase it used)?

I know that it all depends on how it was driven\treated, but putting that aside, (as I will do my best research to find all that out), what are your thoughts on this scenario?