Ford General Tech Ford tech talk within.

Need Advice On '94 F-150

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 10:40 AM
Beginner
Default Need Advice On '94 F-150

Back in the winter we had a surprise freeze while I was overseas. The truck wasnt being used regularly, its a hand-down to my son when he gets his license so no one thought about antifreeze or the lack of, it went through water almost as fast as it went through gas.
I came back home and started checking and found that at least one (found out yesterday it 4) freeze plugs had popped and decided I wasnt going to deal with it until a couple of days ago.

Finally got all the freeze plugs replaced yesterday and started trying to crank the engine. When it turns over water comes out of the radiator in a geyser every so often. After checking the oil the level has come up considerably, though not milky, yet.

Now Im trying to decide where to go from here. Do I start at the heads and see how bad the damage is as I go? Or do I go ahead and pull the entire engine and go through it?

The engine has never been worked on besides normal maintenance and the truck has over 400K miles on it. My initial thought is to pull the engine and take this opportunity to give it a good rebuild. But Im also concerned I will be kicking a dead horse. Im scared to death that Im going to get it open and find a chunk of cylinder wall laying on top of a piston.

If you were in my shoes where would you go fro here?

Old 08-22-2014, 11:48 PM
Beginner

Originally Posted by SLICK75
Back in the winter we had a surprise freeze while I was overseas. The truck wasnt being used regularly, its a hand-down to my son when he gets his license so no one thought about antifreeze or the lack of, it went through water almost as fast as it went through gas.
I came back home and started checking and found that at least one (found out yesterday it 4) freeze plugs had popped and decided I wasnt going to deal with it until a couple of days ago.

Finally got all the freeze plugs replaced yesterday and started trying to crank the engine. When it turns over water comes out of the radiator in a geyser every so often. After checking the oil the level has come up considerably, though not milky, yet.

Now Im trying to decide where to go from here. Do I start at the heads and see how bad the damage is as I go? Or do I go ahead and pull the entire engine and go through it?

The engine has never been worked on besides normal maintenance and the truck has over 400K miles on it. My initial thought is to pull the engine and take this opportunity to give it a good rebuild. But Im also concerned I will be kicking a dead horse. Im scared to death that Im going to get it open and find a chunk of cylinder wall laying on top of a piston.

If you were in my shoes where would you go fro here?

Every time I have seen a engine that has been frozen it has been the block that has split! If it was a heating problem then I would say the heads or head gasket but when they freeze the block is the weakest link!

Old 08-23-2014, 07:51 PM

First, if a chunk of cylinder wall was on top of the piston, you would know it by now.

Sounds to me like the cooling system wasnt filled properly when you refilled it and you have air in the system. Drain it out again. Half fill it and start engine,leave the rad cap off..... let it idle until up to a temp when the thermostat opens.....slowly add more coolant until full.

And, for Petes sake, always have at least some antifreeze in it

Old 08-25-2014, 08:53 AM
Kik
Beginner

Put a pressure gauge on the radiator when you crank the engine watch the gauge, if you get more that 20 to 25lbs then you probably have a cracked block at the cylinders and ar pushing air into the cooling system. Then again at 400k I wouldn't mess around with it. You'd be better off to Go get a running motor a JY and do a rebuild on that.