Ford Heavy Duty Discuss your SUPER DUTY F250s, F350s, and the everlasting POWERSTROKE!

Engine stalling randomly

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 01:29 PM
Default Engine stalling randomly

I just purchased a black 1994 F350, 7.3l turbo diesel, crew cab, dually. I love it!

... Except for one major problem, which I was only made aware of only after I was 70 miles away from where I bought it. Anyways, I would be driving along, let up on the accelerator and start to slow down for a red light or stop sign, maybe 10% of the time the engine would just die out, the battery light would turn on, and I would lose power steering. I come to a stop, put it in park and start it right back up with no problem. This has happened 6-7 times within 2 days already. Luckily I have been on normal roads and not the highway or something, as that could be dangerous -- not being able to steer correctly.

Just to give some more background: I bought this from a small, independent car dealer in Osprey, FL. The truck 'has' 213k, but I was told it is a new engine (from a '93 I'm told) with probably under 80k, but not completely sure. It also has a Brake Master under the dash that I guess helps stop the truck. I tried to figure out what was happening, but it seems to happen more often if I have the radio (aftermarket removable faceplate type) and the exterior lights on. But it still happens without anything turned on inside the cab. There are also installed Trans Temp gauges and Turbo boost gauges on the inside pillar. They work (trans temp is usually 180-200), and boost doesn't move much unless I step on the pedal a lot.

I noticed the battery terminals and cables got a lot of junk on them, maybe this is part of the problem? I'll get a new battery and set of cables regardless.

Since it happens when I slow down or brake from a normal cruising speed, could it be some kind of cut-off for the fuel when it starts sloshing around? Or the Brake Master using too much battery power when slowing down, therefore shutting the car off? The battery and oil gauges are in the 'normal' area, but closer to the 'low' end.

Thanks!