Ford Heavy Duty Discuss your SUPER DUTY F250s, F350s, and the everlasting POWERSTROKE!

F 250 Hd

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 03:44 PM
Default F 250 Hd

I have a 1997 F 250 Hd that has a broken interior door handle on the drivers side. Does anybody know where I can get a new handle made of metal as mine is plastic.

Last edited by ourppof; 09-05-2011 at 03:48 PM. Reason: did not include year
Old 09-06-2011, 09:44 AM
Beginner
Lightbulb Door Handle

I have a 95' F250, and I broke my drivers side handle twice . The first time, I thought that the handle just broke from years of use. I replaced it only to find out that the problem was the cable had become gummed up from years of dust and grime building up on the ends where the cable is connected to the handle mount in the door and especially at the connection with the latch, and so, after I had everything back together, I broke the handle again.
I live in West Texas where fine dust can get into and gum up just about anything, and it did a great job of making a mess out of the inside of my doors . You may or may not have this kind of problem with yours but just to save yourself the frustration of replacing the handle and then breaking it again on first or second use, check your cable, handle mount, and latch to be sure it all works well and smooth.
You can use a screw driver as the handle to actuate the latch from the door handle mount just to check the operation. Be sure to use a screw driver that has a round shaft to help to avoid damage to the threads for the screw that holds the handle to the mount. I used a squared off screw driver and did just enough damage to the threads to have to re-tap the mount . Even better than a screw driver is a rod threaded to fit the threads in the handle mount. Just be sure to use something strong enough to not bend when you pull on it to actuate the latch.
So finally, to answer your question, I got my first handle at O'Reilly Auto Parts, and the second one, I ordered two just in case, I got from Truck Parts and Truck Accessories for Chevy, GMC, Ford and Dodge Trucks from LMCTruck.com
I think you can also get them at Autozone or Advance Auto.
Sorry about the long winded reply but I just thought that if you had not considered these things you might want to know that there may be an underlying problem causing the handle to break.

Good Luck