Ford Heavy Duty Discuss your SUPER DUTY F250s, F350s, and the everlasting POWERSTROKE!

Injector dribbling fuel

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 06:48 AM
Beginner
Default Injector dribbling fuel

The front left injector (looking form the drivers seat) dribbles fuel now. Guess one of the o-rings gave way after being set up for so long.

Is it possible to work on just the one injector, or do I have to take all 4 loose on that side?

Old 05-12-2013, 02:00 PM
TruckForum Addict

What engine, and what truck?

If you're talking a CPI 96-99 truck, then yes, one injector can be serviced. If your injectors all live on a fuel rail, you'll have to pull the whole rail and put new O-rings on all of them if they are cracked/hard/leaking. Really though, O-rings are cheap. If you pull the injector, replace the O-ring, that's usually a pretty good practice. And another tip, put a little transmission gel on the O-rings before you seat the fuel rail again, as it will help the new O-rings slip down into their bore effortlessly and you wont risk ripping the o-ring or having one hang up in the bore.

Also let me just say that RELIEVE FUEL SYSTEM PRESSURE BEFORE SERVICING THE FUEL SYSTEM. Do this by unplugging your fuel pump and running the engine till it stalls, or connect a fuel pressure gauge and port the fuel into an approved container, or if you're feeling adventurous, push in the schrader valve and let the fuel spray into a rag.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:44 AM
Beginner

It is a 1984 Ford F-350 with International 6.9L IDI engine.

I see replacement fuel rails sold separate, why do all four have to be taken off together? (I think replacing o-rings on them makes sense, just curious why they are sold individually but have to be serviced as a group).

Also - about unplugging the fuel pump, do you mean the electrical connector? I assume so but please confirm if you get this reply.

Old 05-13-2013, 04:00 PM
TruckForum Addict

Well I do apologize. I was thinking you had a gasoline engine, and I was also thinking for some reason that your gasoline engine was a chevy engine lol.

Anyways, yeah I think you can remove just the one injector. And based on my googling, unplug the injector pump. I'm not all that experienced with 6.9s, but an engine is an engine. Make sure you don't have fuel pressure first though. I'd hate to have you get diesel fuel in your eyes lol.