Ford Heavy Duty Discuss your SUPER DUTY F250s, F350s, and the everlasting POWERSTROKE!

From rear main seal replacement to new engine. to

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 11:16 PM
Beginner
Question From rear main seal replacement to new engine. to

Hi everybody, the title says it all

Ford F250 Super Duty standard (no automatic trans)
Current mileage: 111k
Bought used from ford dealer December 2011 with 103k mileages

12/28/12-Took my truck for an oil leak that was coming our from the bottom of the truck. At that time I was made the shop aware that I had a warranty policy that I purchased at the dealership.In order to fix the leakage they had to remove the transmission and that was when they noticed that the clutch, I was told a few days later that I would need a new clutch in a few months and they offered to change it before it gave me problems. The original oil leak was from the rear main seal.

01/12/13- I picked up the truck from the shop and drove it to my house and parked it. I noticed that day that the truck smelled like burnt oil. I figured it was from a possible spillage due to the recent fixing. The following day I drove it to work ( about 16 miles) when I arrived I noticed there was a lot of oil coming from the bottom of the truck and the smell of burnt oil still persisted.

02/4/2013-Took the truck back to the same shop and I was told that the truck's valve covers were leaking. They installed a new left and right gasket, new tensioner, new chain, new timing chain belt, and new oil pump. After picking it up from the shop, I noticed that the truck was not working properly. The warranty sent an adjuster to verify and approve the further fixes.

02/13/2013-Took my truck back to the shop where they began to give me that run arounds about why the clutch was so stiff and why the truck kept on leaking. At that time I was told that the timing and cover needed to be replaced.

03/13/13- I picked up the truck about 5 minutes before they closed. A few minutes after driving out of the shop parking lot, I noticed that the clutch was still stiff and that truck had difficulty running. A few days later I took it back to the shop where I was then told that they had no idea why the truck was still acting up.

03/20/13-I was driving it to work and about 10 minutes later it suddenly stopped on me. The battery had to get charged in order for it to restart, and I had to let it cool off before driving it again. After letting it cool off I was able to get to start.

03/25/13-I took it back and then I left it there and then a few days later I was told that I needed a new engine which my warranty was questioning. They sent an adjuster who wanted more proof of the needed of a new engine. At that point they suspect that slush was making the truck act up, I was told this by the shop manager. They said they noticed it the first time they had laid hands on the truck but they did not say anything since they were afraid my warranty would not pay for anything.

Bottom line the shop is saying I either need a whole new engine or have the slush cleaned out which can cost quite a lot of money.

My question is:

Is it possible to get all these failures, from a simple minimal oil leakage ? (My oil levels where always to the full level and my oil changes where done)

What is the best approach if I to fighting this case when I take it to court?

Currently my truck works fine for about 15 minutes, but once it reaches a certain temperature it starts to vibrate like it wants to die on me or like if I was running out of power (gas).

If I let it cool off for about 1-2 hours it works fine again.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:29 AM
Administrator

What year is your truck?
What engine is in your truck?

Sounds like you have an ignition issue now or a fuel supply issue.
None of these issues are related to an oil leak though.

I have NEVER heard of a SLUSH problem. Maybe this is named something differently up here.
I'm assuming it is a SLUDGE problem. (a build up of sludge in the crank case causing the engine to run warm.) Sludge is caused from a lack of an oil change schedule.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:09 PM
Beginner
Default Ford truck

Hi, thanks for repliying, truck is a 2008 ford f250 model 5.4L
And you are right, it's sludge.