Ford Heavy Duty Discuss your SUPER DUTY F250s, F350s, and the everlasting POWERSTROKE!

What a disappointment!!! need advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 09:33 AM
Angry What a disappointment!!! need advice

I purchased a 2010 F350 4x4, superduty four door truck auto, powered with a 5.4 gas engine. This truck has no power and eats gas like it is free!! granted the truck only has 350 miles but I am getting around 10.33 miles to the gallon. The truck has 373 rear ends... Coming from the Dodge trucks with the cummings diesel engine I expected to be slightly disappointed but not totally!!!

I ordered a chip yesterday from JET which they say shoulod help with "waking" the engine alittle.. I will also be putting a cold air sysytem on the truck... I am thinking of adding daul exhaust.. I called procharger and they dont offer a supercharger for this truck...

I like the way the truck looks and rides and I needed more room and thats why I went to the Ford... I would not buy the Ford diesel as I hear there is nothing but heartaches with that.. even the dealer told me not to purchase the diesel!!!! so I didnt...

Does anyone have any ideas how to get some performance and better fuel mileage? I could see getting 10 miles to the gallon if I could pull a house down but this truck cant get out of its own way lol or does the dodge cummings just have that much on theese trucks? Looking for a helping hand ... Thank you very much in adavnce for any suggestions....

Old 12-11-2010, 04:29 PM
Administrator

As far as the ford diesel goes, was he referring to the 2010 6.4 Powerstroke or the All new 2011 6.7 Powerstroke?

Old 12-11-2010, 10:57 PM

Sorry as I would not want to confuse anyone and I should have been more specific.... I was referring to the 2010 f350 diesel 6.4 powerstroke. I like the truck except for the lack of performance and fuel mileage.

Old 12-12-2010, 07:41 AM
Administrator

Hmm. Well, I'm sure it will improve a little bit as you break it in, but you have a small block gas v8 pushing A LOT of components. My 5.7 in my 98 2500 gets about 12mpg and it's A LOT smaller than your truck. I would liken it to my 89 Isuzu Trooper which had a 2.4 4 banger 5spd in it and could only muster 14mpg

If it helps, on our new 2011 F350 Crew Cab Powerstroke we are getting about 16mpg and it is going up the more we drive it. 660 miles on it now. The whole 400hp 800 Torques is FUN!

Old 01-10-2011, 07:03 PM

well buddy, let me tell ya, im in the same boat you are, i have a 2006 f250 superduty, its a piece of crap with a 5.4 in it, it only has 26000 miles on it because its a turd, dont waste your money on dual exhaust,i did it all, the exhaust, throttle body, k-n air filter system, and it still sucks. i get 10 mile a gallon going down hill, I traded a v10 that got 12 miles to the gallon, they told me i would get better fuel mileage in this 5.4, bull ****. I am looking now at the 2011 6,2 and the 6.7 diesels, but i cant seem to find out if the diesel is worth it in fuel mileage, i have been reading every night for a month trying to decide what to do, wish some one could help me with a decision. I will tell you one thing, I drove them both (6.2 gas and 6.7 diesel).. if you drive a diesel...6.7, you willl **** your pants, i never drove anything up over a mountian that runs like they do, i want one bad, but my bank account says no, i feel your pain, my truck now is really nice lookin, looks like show room , but i hate driving it, its a turd, and old ladys and every truck in the country pass me up the mountian, and while im at the gas station sitting too..lol, good luck, sorry for the bad news !!

Old 01-24-2011, 05:49 AM

Look into sct programmer with delete pipe it will give you the power and the mileage your looking but you also need to do the egr delete to keep the exhaust from going back to the intake i like my 6.4 but ford has issues withthe 6.4 an they dont want to admit it sct programmer cannot be detected by the service department neither i know 1st hand mines been to dealership 4 times for warranty work they give me hell over the banks air filter ind exhaust tip but they worked it youll see mpg at 18 to 20 at 65 to 70 mph and nothing will pass you if you dont want it to ....

Old 01-24-2011, 03:59 PM
Ford and Dodge Truck Forum Moderator

[quote=
Does anyone have any ideas how to get some performance and better fuel mileage? I could see getting 10 miles to the gallon if I could pull a house down but this truck cant get out of its own way lol or does the dodge cummings just have that much on theese trucks? Looking for a helping hand ... Thank you very much in adavnce for any suggestions....[/quote]

I have the 5.4 in my truck too. My gas mil is a little worse then yours I get about 8 miles to the gallon. I have done all that you are planning to do and nothing has helped.

although using prem gasoline and a high quality synth oil seems to have helped a little I am not sure why.

Part of my problem I know is that i have a heavy chrome grill gaurd on the front, but even before i put that on my gas mil was not that good.