General Motors Tech Chevy tech talk within.

1998 GMC Siverado k1500 5.7 vortec doesnt fire or run

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 03:16 PM
Administrator

I don't mean to high jack your thread or redirect the topic from your topic.
I have converted an 86 carberated truck to an 87 TBI
I've got all the wiring done except for the part were the harness from the ECM goes to the underside of the dash at the driver's side.
It is the small harness that leaves the ECM and goes across the underside of the dash to the driver's side and it includes the ALDL plug
This harness plugs into the Back up / Neutral Safety Switch on the bottom of the steering column
The other little plug (3 wire) plugs into the speed censor on the back of the gauge cluster
The remaining three individual wires I'm not sure about Tan wire, Brown wire and the Black white wire.

Old 04-10-2014, 05:32 PM
Beginner

Originally Posted by In2Trux
I don't mean to high jack your thread or redirect the topic from your topic.
I have converted an 86 carberated truck to an 87 TBI
I've got all the wiring done except for the part were the harness from the ECM goes to the underside of the dash at the driver's side.
It is the small harness that leaves the ECM and goes across the underside of the dash to the driver's side and it includes the ALDL plug
This harness plugs into the Back up / Neutral Safety Switch on the bottom of the steering column
The other little plug (3 wire) plugs into the speed censor on the back of the gauge cluster
The remaining three individual wires I'm not sure about Tan wire, Brown wire and the Black white wire.

I'm not certain, I can take a look in the morning when I wake up.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:43 PM
Beginner

I have not had time to check those wires out. I will deff look see what I can see in morning. With working and doing what I can do on my truck.
However, Saturday after work I installed my fuel injection assembly. To a suprise to my ears, first key strike my truck was humming like a sewing machine . For the exception under aceleration. Ha to my suprise, I cut my upper intake gasket into when I installed it. This morning I replaced it and took a test drive down the road. Ran nicely. Still something I can put my finger on as of yet though. At least for now it's running and drivable.

Are there any way to post pics on these threads? Gotta get back to work.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:13 AM
Administrator

Glad to hear your truck is starting to run better, as for my issue, don't worry about it... I bought a complete cab wiring harness. Solved the problem.

Posting pictures? You will need a Photo host in order to post pics ie: photobucket.com

Old 04-18-2014, 09:19 PM
Beginner

That's great news, glad your wiring issue is fixed. I'd like to thank everyone following this thread. Before I stop here, my other issue was the new fuel pump I put on. Apparently they make two for this year verses the motor that's been put in. It has to have at least 55-60 psi where the other one was only putting out 10psi at ignition switch on and 20 running. Not nearly enough to drive it. But would start it and keep at idle! Well lesson learned.

Old 04-19-2014, 08:50 PM
Administrator

I'm glad you where able to find out it was the fuel pump
Thanks for coming back to update us.