General Motors Tech Chevy tech talk within.

88 Silverado Acceleration Issues

Old 04-12-2009, 04:11 PM
Unhappy 88 Silverado Acceleration Issues

Hi, I have a 1988 Silverado k1500 4x4 with a 5.7L 350 EFI.

I've started having issues with accelerating. It's hard to explain, but best way to say is it feels like it is dragging to get up to speed. Takes awhile to speed up to 0-25 then goes good to 35 then from there is feels like it drags to 45+. I've started having this issue for about 2 1/2 weeks now, and I can't seem to figure it out. I've checked the spark plugs, to see if any were loose, thinking maybe one wasn't firing good, but they were good.

One thing that is odd is when I went to go get my tires rotated, I notice that I had a leak of some sort coming from under the hood. So, I popped the hood to see what it was, and the seal where the Engine Coolant pipe goes into the back of the motor, to the left of the Distributor Cap (if looking from front of truck), has a crack in it, and is shooting coolant out in a stream. Don't exactly know what the part is to replace it. So I think perhaps that might be the problem, but I got them rotated about a month in a half ago. So I don't really know.

Any help on this issue will be GREATLY appreciated.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:36 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Those tend to be a common thing that leaks coolant on those trucks. That wouldn't be the cause of the other issue though. I would definitely get it fixed ASAP. Once they start leaking they can totally let go at any time and you will loose all your coolant quick. It threads into the intake and usually it is a real pain in the @$$ to get out. I have a special tool that you tap in and it graps it and backs it out, but I have had them where even that tool didn't work. In worse case scenarios the intake has to come off and sometimes replaced. Not to sound like a downer! Your other issue can be a number of things from a slipping trans, fuel issue, bad sensor, etc. Do you have a check engine light?

Old 04-13-2009, 08:21 AM

What would the part be called that I need to replace? Rather not have to replace my intake on it.

Yeah I do, and it comes on at random times when I drive. Usually if I hit the accelerator hard to get up faster cause of the problem, it will kick on, but eventually go off about 3 to 4 miles sometimes. I need to get the whole truck looked at. Also, the slipping trans. sounds like it can be it because when I crank the truck and engine is cold, and I start driving; the gears will change but with a lot of force behind it. When it changes my truck jerks forward. :/ Don't know who to explain; it's one of those you gotta be there to know what I'm talking about.