General Motors Tech Chevy tech talk within.

El Camino/Caballero

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 04:50 PM
Default El Camino/Caballero

Is the El Camino/Caballero a car, or a truck?

Old 06-12-2007, 09:06 PM
Default RE: El Camino/Caballero

both...

actually I think its classified as a car. In the 70s it was basically a chevelle/malibu with a bed and in the 80s it was a monte carlo. My dad has an 85' El Camino SS Choo-Choo custom and its all car suspension but with a bed. I have a '72 Chevelle SS every catalog I have the mentions the chevelle has "el camino" right beside it.

So my guess is its technically a car. Still a killer ride.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:47 AM
Talking This is what I found for your question. This may help.

Well, first off I beleive that when the El Camino/Caballero was built it was originally inteded to be a truck to strive agianst the Ford Ranchero in the early 60's and they based the elky with the Malibu and Chevelle up until late 78' when GM re-designed their whole line-up. But as far as I can see from a registration stand-point and asking my local Tag-office, on my title it is registered as a car. Though GM built the S-10 to compete agianst the Mazda B-series/Ford Curiour trucks and that took the El Camino/Caballero to nose dive in sales and they axed it in 1988.

Yes... 1988, there are 425 "left-over" 1987 versions badged at 88's that are extremely rare. I currently own a 1984 GMC Caballero. She's a work in progress but it does drive. For some reason I cannot find parts for it here in Kansas..

Anyway, I am seeking Window moldings/felts/ 1984 GMC Caballero Owners' Manual and headlight bezels/grille/ and front bumper trim. It's all missing so if anyone has a clue where I can find these at a cheap price since I am a college student with a strict budget I'd be happy to hear from you.