General Motors Tech Chevy tech talk within.

Need Help. Truck won't start

Old 09-22-2011, 08:19 PM
Default Need Help. Truck won't start

Hi there. So i have a 2000 Chevy 2500 with the 5.7 350 in it. Now i noticed that the intake gasket and head gaskets were leaking. So i took everything apart and replaced the gaskets and took apart the heads and cleaned them up and lapped the valves in and what not.

Now everything is back together with valves adjusted i'm pretty sure correctly and now it won't start. I crank it and it doesn't even sound like its cranking just sounds like its whining and rotating with no actual cranking.

Now i'm getting fuel and a tiny bit of spark as in the video i have youll see it backfires out the throttle body but i don't think it has enough spark and i tried to arc it and it's a wimpy arc.

Here's the video

Video - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

Now like i said it pops here and there and a flame shoots out the throttle body there.

Also i think the distributor might be out and would that cause it not to crank like this? As i'm thikning it's spark related.

Any help is much appreciated, thanks

Tyler

Old 09-23-2011, 08:11 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

That sounds like the valves could be too tight or the timing is way off. How did you set the timing?

Old 09-23-2011, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Mr_Shamrock
That sounds like the valves could be too tight or the timing is way off. How did you set the timing?
Figured we didnt need to set timing again since we didn't touch the timing chain. as for the valves.

We adjusted the valves by the process of rotating the crank to TDC and adjust 1,3,4,8 and then 1,2,5,7 and then rotate the crank to BDC and do 2,5,6,7 and then do 2,4,6,8? And kept doing that process until there was no lash felt and they were tight.

Old 09-23-2011, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by TLeid
Figured we didnt need to set timing again since we didn't touch the timing chain. as for the valves.

We adjusted the valves by the process of rotating the crank to TDC and adjust 1,3,4,8 and then 1,2,5,7 and then rotate the crank to BDC and do 2,5,6,7 and then do 2,4,6,8? And kept doing that process until there was no lash felt and they were tight.

You took the distributor out so timing needs to be set.
When you set the valves you should tighten them while spinning the push rod with your fingers. When resistance is felt and they are hard to turn by hand tighten them 1/4 turn more.

Old 09-23-2011, 03:10 PM

You took the distributor out so timing needs to be set.
When you set the valves you should tighten them while spinning the push rod with your fingers. When resistance is felt and they are hard to turn by hand tighten them 1/4 turn more.
Yea thats what i did for the valves. I spun the push rod with my thumb and index finger until i was unable to spin it. then turned it 3/4 of a turn more as told by many people. I did this until all had no lash in them.

As for timing, yes i did take the distributor out so how do i set the timing and all for it?

Old 09-23-2011, 06:51 PM

The distributor should have a mark (usually a little pointer/triangle) sometimes there will be one with a 6 by it and one with an 8 by it. That is for V-6 and V-8 (they use the same base). Obviously you need the one with the 8 - ignore the other one. You then need to get #1 on TDC and then drop the distributor in where the rotor is pointed at that mark. This will get you close and the truck will start and run, but the only way to get it exact is with a scanner that reads cam retard.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:08 PM

So i was going to put the motor to TDC and felt for compression on spark plug hole for cylinder 1 and i have no compression. Not even a little. So i'm assuming that the Valves are stuck open and they are too tight.

Now i dont know how as i thought for sure i did the process right but apparently not.

Could someone provide me with a step by step procedure on how to correctly adjust the valves?

Old 09-29-2011, 07:33 AM

1. Turn engine to TDC.
2. Adjust intake rockers on #1, #2, #5, #7.
3. Adjust exhaust rockers on #1, #3, #4, #8.
4. Rotate engine ONE turn (BDC).
5. Adjust intake rockers on #3, #4, #6, #8.
6. Adjust exhaust rockers on #2, #5, #6, #7.

It looks like you already did it this way. Maybe go back and back each one off 1/2 a turn and with the valve covers off try and start the truck. It helps to make a couple oil shields out of cardboard so you don't spray oil all over the engine compartment. If it starts at that point, with it still running you can go one by one and slowly loosen them until you hear it tap, start tightening until the tap stops, and then tighten an additional 1/4-1/2 turn.

Last edited by Mr_Shamrock; 09-29-2011 at 07:38 AM.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:44 AM

1. Turn engine to TDC.
2. Adjust intake rockers on #1, #2, #5, #7.
3. Adjust exhaust rockers on #1, #3, #4, #8.
4. Rotate engine ONE turn (BDC).
5. Adjust intake rockers on #3, #4, #6, #8.
6. Adjust exhaust rockers on #2, #5, #6, #7.

It looks like you already did it this way. Maybe go back and back each one off 1/2 a turn and with the valve covers off try and start the truck. It helps to make a couple oil shields out of cardboard so you don't spray oil all over the engine compartment. If it starts at that point, with it still running you can go one by one and slowly loosen them until you hear it tap, start tightening until the tap stops, and then tighten an additional 1/4-1/2 turn.
Thats great. Thanks a lot Mr. Shamrock. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:12 PM

So Mr. Shamrock. We played around with the distributor and figured it was out. So we took off the cap and pulled the dist. out. We had it on TDC and then we pointed the contact rod towards the 1 spark plug slot on the cap. Then after all back together started it and it had compression for a crank and it backfired really loud and then back to nothing after that. Seems everytime we play with the dist. it backfires once and then back to no compression again.

What could this be? Could the dist. be still set wrong or could the valves still be stuck open (Too Tight) and just backfires once when we get the dist in the reight spot. I'm so frustrated and stuck with this thing.

Please help.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need Help. Truck won't start