General Motors Tech Chevy tech talk within.

No power in chevy truck

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 06:24 PM
Beginner
Default No power in chevy truck

I have a 1990 Chevy 4X4 pickup 350throttle body injected engine, auto trans. The truck has only 119k. miles, sits most of the time. I have a couple problems that have persisted for a long time. It has no power, especially when pulling a trailer and uses a lot of gas. I have changed everything electrical as far as plugs , wires,high output coil, and the ecm in the distributer. It seems like it is getting too much fuel. Wheni wouldtake the air cleaner off and look at the injectors when it is running, there was a very strong stream of fuel coming out of each injector at idle speed. I changed the engine coolant temp sensortoday and it seemed to cut that flow down some but i don't think it helped enough for pulling a trailer. Could it be a problem with the fuel pressure regulator or injectors ? Second problem with the same truck is the back brakes never worked. Don't even wear brake shoes on the rear in seven years. The brake dash light constantly flashes nine short flashes followed by one long flash. And sometimes when I get out of the truck ,I notice that the rear brake lights in the tail lights are sticking on, until i go inside and pull the pedal up to shut them off. It seems to me like proportioning valve is not working but it also has a couple electrical components beside the master cylinder for the anti lock brakes. I hate to just start replacing everything. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 12-02-2007, 04:51 AM
Default RE: No power in chevy truck

its gonna have to be checked for the brake lite..its setting abs codes..
I'd also get it scanned for no codes in the engine,and get the cat checked,it may well be plugged

Old 12-03-2007, 08:15 AM

could have something to do with the rear abs unit. i removed mine and havent had trouble with my brakes working since just dont have abs anymore.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:47 PM

Possibly try changing the fuel fiilter and check timing on your truck.