General Truck Tech Do you have a question that doesnt apply to a certain make or model, ask it here!

Boxed frame important?

Old 01-16-2011, 08:18 AM
Default Boxed frame important?

Looking to buy my first truck. Will do moderate offroading, but nothing exteme. How big a deal is a boxed frame, which, say, the Tundra does not have? Plan to carry a pop up truck camper. All tips about buying a truck gratefully received.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:14 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

From my understanding the new Tundra's have a boxed frame from the front bumper to the cab for strength under the motor, and then from the firewall to end of the cab it is not boxed but is gusseted somehow, and then it is a regular C channel frame under the bed to allow for the unavoidable shifting/twisting of the bed. I am just repeating what the salesman told me when my father in law was in town and was in the market for a new truck. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong. I don't think a boxed frame is all that big of a deal. Look at all the big rigs that have C frames - and those things take some serious twisting.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:34 AM
TruckForum Addict

my opinion is i would have a boxed frame if i could there alot stronger then regular c chanel frames
if i get the money one day i will be boxing my frame of my truck 94 sivlerado
as i will be doing moderate offroading and pulling and hauling
i would have to say a box frame is better for what you are looking for as i have had frames bend and twist when i was hauling or had the equivalant to a box camper in my truck