General Truck Tech Do you have a question that doesnt apply to a certain make or model, ask it here!

Returning to Stock Valvebody/Can I Just Hand Tighten Valvebody Bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 11:22 AM
Beginner
Default Returning to Stock Valvebody/Can I Just Hand Tighten Valvebody Bolts?

We're supposed to tighten all the bolts on the valvebody to 70 inch lbs or 8 Nm.

My digital ratchet isn't working anymore. Is it acceptable to just tighten the bolts to where it "feels" like the right torque?

I realize 8 Nm isn't a lot of torque at all. It's barely a flick of the wrist.

-----------------------------------------

FYI:I'm going back to stock on my valvebody (it was upgraded with a Transgo shiftkit 2 years ago.)

For those of you who are doing this and are concerned about what would happen to the "tapered orifice" that was installed into the transmission, here's what your supposed to do.

Remove it! The valve pressure is increased by Transgo because of the tapered orifice. If you return to stock without removing it, the shifts will be too soft.

Remove it by drilling it out with a .125 - .136 drill bit. Then vacuum the debris COMPLETELY out of the transmission.

Later on, if you wish to return to the Transgo upgraded shiftkit, you will not be able to acquire the tapered orifice from Transgo. They don't sell parts of kits.

Instead, using a .125 drill bit, drill a hole into a bolt and install that to use in place of the tapered orifice.

All this information is available simply by calling Transgo. Don't call them during lunchtime and allow them a few minutes to get back. They won't answer if you do!

---------------------

Just in case you're wondering. I have 2 valvebodies. 1 with the Transgo shift kit. The other, just a stock valvebody.