General Truck Tech Do you have a question that doesnt apply to a certain make or model, ask it here!

Whats your opinion of this?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 08:22 AM
Beginner
Default Whats your opinion of this?

Hey everybody!

This is a picture my passenger took right after a ladder fell out of this guy's truck. I pulled up next to him and warned him about his open tailgate. Having driven a truck my whole life, I know he cant see the tailgate is down with the toolbox in the way. I have 8 other pictures of tailgates down with tools/ cargo almost falling out.

Embarrassing as it is, I've left my tailgate down a few times losing a new hilti laser, t-square, a few buckets of drywall tools, hard hat, and welding shield.

I spent some time and energy and got a patent on a dashboard warning light that is designed to alert a pickup truck user that the tailgate is not closed, preventing items from falling out of the bed.

I'd like to get some raw data for my presentation, so If you have driven a pickup truck and used it to haul cargo, please take a moment to answer a 10 question survey. If anyone has a picture of a tailgate left down, that would be great.

I'd appreciate it!

https://survey.zohopublic.com/zs/KpiQkq

Mike

Attached Thumbnails Whats your opinion of this?-250753d1449422544t-need-opinions-pickup-truck-drivers-truck-tailgate.jpg  
Old 12-07-2015, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Great Idea!

I'll refrain from taking the survey because I rarely haul with my truck, but here's a thought-

In college I worked for a moving company and we used 14-16' box trucks, usually mounted on a GMC or Ford Van. I can't tell you how many times I pulled over to the side of the road because I had this nagging feeling that I hadn't closed the roll-up door.
One time, I got out and walked back there to have my heart sink- I'd driven 50 miles with the door open and someone's posessions inside! Fortunately, all I lost was a pen and clipboard I left on the bumper lol.

Anways, Penske, Ryder, and uhaul trucks are all the same- there is no way to know if the door is shut. I assume that long-haul trucks and trailers are similar. A potential market for your product? It may be a lot easier to sell to truckign companies than it is to sell to consumers?