New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Another N0ob Question...

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 11:32 AM
Default Another N0ob Question...

I'll be searching around the forums, but I figured I'd just go ahead and ask (even though someone else probably already has).

I want to buy a truck; but I don't know what to get. I've currently got a Ford Mustang that I love - but I've been doing some pretty intensive home repair over the course of the last few years and it looks like I'll continue for at least a few more years. I've gotten by renting trucks and hiring people to haul things for me and well, I could have saved many hundreds of dollars by having my own truck.

Basically, I want a work truck. I don't particularly like large vehicles, but I'd need it to easy hold an 8 ft. x 4 ft. sheet of drywall/plywood. I don't care about MPG, I won't drive it far. I don't think towing capacity is much of an issue either, because I don't have anything to tow. I'd rather NOT have the 'extended' cab or the 'crew' cab or whatever it's called. I don't care how it looks, or how nice of a ride it is, or how fast it goes, or if it has four wheel drive....I just want it to work/last for a long time.

Could someone recommend some trucks to help me narrow down my search? I figure I'll head to a dealer tomorrow and check out their used lot and try to get a feel for what I could get for my current car as a trade in.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:23 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

I am partial to GM trucks so I would recommend a regular cab long bed Chevy or GMC. These are the least expensive of the GM's and will fit your needs well. If you are hauling alot of drywall you may want to consider a 2500 or 3500 series, but if it's just a handful of sheets at a time a 1500 will be fine. They can be picked up with some mileage for $2500 or less depending on the year of course. If your located close to Greenville, SC I can help you find one.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:25 PM
Administrator

What he said!

I would think that something like my truck would be perfect for you maybe with a few added leaf springs. I see a lot of them pass through around here, matter of fact, there is a 93 2500 V6 2wd for sale down the road from me. they want $2200 for it but it really doesn't have much rust on it.

What is your price range and where do you live, I will check for you

Old 06-22-2009, 07:25 PM

A good half ton should get the job done. I prefer the GM stuff but that's just me, everyone will have an opinion on this. Go with what suits you, you'll be the one making the payments.