New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Good First Truck?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 12:59 PM
Beginner
Smile Good First Truck?

Hello,
what is a good compact truck to purchase as a first truck? I'm thinking about a 1995 nissan pickup with a 4cyl engine. It has to be under $3000 dollars and manual transmission though. And I'm about 6'2 and 15yrs old, any suggestions?

ps. im new to this site so please forgive me!

Ryan

Last edited by Rifleman97; 01-16-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:05 PM
Administrator

Hey Ryan
Welcome to Truck Forums
6,2 !!! Any reason why such a big guy like you wants a compact truck?
and what are you using the truck for?

Old 01-17-2013, 02:56 AM

Take some advice from one tall guy to another, you don't want a compact truck lol. Would suggest a mid 90s model Chevy 1/2 ton with the 4.3L v6. I had one for awhile. It got just as good of fuel mileage as the smaller trucks, but had much more cab room, and mine had a 5 speed manual.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:16 AM
Beginner

Originally Posted by In2Trux
Hey Ryan
Welcome to Truck Forums
6,2 !!! Any reason why such a big guy like you wants a compact truck?
and what are you using the truck for?
Well, mainly for fuel economy. And less than $3000. If I wasn't so tall I would get a smaller truck in a heartbeat(when I had the money) but since I'm 6'+ it's kinda hard. And I'd use it as a drive around and the bed for transporting stuff since the only truck we have in our family is a ford bronco though it wouldn't hold as much.

Thanks,
Ryan

Old 01-17-2013, 06:21 AM
Beginner

Originally Posted by RustyFordLover
Take some advice from one tall guy to another, you don't want a compact truck lol. Would suggest a mid 90s model Chevy 1/2 ton with the 4.3L v6. I had one for awhile. It got just as good of fuel mileage as the smaller trucks, but had much more cab room, and mine had a 5 speed manual.
&lt;br /&gt;<br />

Thanks! What I forgot to mention though was I've been looking but haven't really decided on something for definite. I'll definitely look into that truck! I wonder though, with the v6 did it feel underpowered? I live in nc in the semi backwoods so a little power would be nice.

Thanks,
Ryan

Last edited by Rifleman97; 01-17-2013 at 06:24 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:35 AM

GM made a lot of 1/2ton reg cab short box 4x4s with the 4.3L/5sp combo in the '90s.
They did ok for the power they had. If you get one the two biggest thinks I recommend are intake gaskets and PROPER transmission fluid changes.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:34 AM
Beginner

Originally Posted by Diesel Dan
GM made a lot of 1/2ton reg cab short box 4x4s with the 4.3L/5sp combo in the '90s.
They did ok for the power they had. If you get one the two biggest thinks I recommend are intake gaskets and PROPER transmission fluid changes.
Cool, but i would prefer to have an extended cab. And 4x4 if possible. So i'll look into that and see. I really am gonna need fuel efficiency since I cant work yet and the money I do make isn't a whole lot. But thanks for all the info! Yall have been really helpful!

Ryan

Monroe,NC

Old 01-17-2013, 09:37 AM
Administrator

For the same money your gonna spend on a compact truck, you can get a lot more truck in a full size.
Looking for a little power? I think you will quickly get frustrated at the power your going to receive from a carbureted 4 cyl Nissan

Agreed w/earlier posts for a first truck. Early 90 Chevy short box it will give you a cool looking truck that will turn heads if it clean and in good shape.
With the V6 and good driving habits you'll get good fuel economy
With the 6 foot box you will have more cargo space then the mini trucks.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:49 AM
Beginner

Originally Posted by In2Trux
For the same money your gonna spend on a compact truck, you can get a lot more truck in a full size.
Looking for a little power? I think you will quickly get frustrated at the power your going to receive from a carbureted 4 cyl Nissan

Agreed w/earlier posts for a first truck. Early 90 Chevy short box it will give you a cool looking truck that will turn heads if it clean and in good shape.
With the V6 and good driving habits you'll get good fuel economy
With the 6 foot box you will have more cargo space then the mini trucks.
ok, cool thanks all of yall! yall have been really helpful. and easily saved me time and frustration of a small nissan vs a chevy. And by-the-way, is the chevy carbeurated too? I know my dads 1988 bronco isnt.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:08 AM
Administrator

Yes the V6 has TBI not multi port. Also, With the truck and the engine... There is endless modifications out there for these trucks.
You can dress it up and modify these truck as far as your imagine and wallet will let you

Quick Reply: Good First Truck?