New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

How to grease your sealed hubs

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 04:43 PM

Do we look like we give a crap?

Old 12-10-2012, 09:19 AM
Beginner

Danny, How do we get this garbage removed off of this thread? This is B.S.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:33 PM

We need to get a moderator on here. We are working on getting someone who comes here more often to take the responsibility so this stuff can be removed. It is extremely annoying when we get trolls and spammers and a good thread like this.

Old 02-22-2014, 05:17 PM
Beginner

Ok, I finally came across one of the bearings with the 5 sided allen like bolt. It was in an SKF premium bearing. I took a flat blade screwdriver that just fit and got the bolt out. If that wouldnt have worked I was going to use a cut off wheel in my die grinder to cut a slot so I could put a big screwdriver in it. I then took the old one out of the original chevy hub and put it in place. Seems to me that SKF doesnt want us being able to remove that abs sensor....Hmmm. I have found the tool to do it and ordered it. As soon as I get it I will post a part number and place you can order it. Seems this design on the bolt is common in Europe. You cant find the tool anywhere. They put them in bicycles over there so you have to bring them to the dealer to have them worked on. There is even some sort of patent on the tool so they cant be copied. I found one that has a hole drilled in the middle for anti-theft. Was unsure about the size so I ordered several. When I find out which one I will pass on info. They are 6 bucks apiece. Another alternative is to buy the GM hub. I think what we are doing packing the bearings is costing them a lot of sales and that is the reason for the bolt. Thing is those abs sensors fail from time to time and with what they are doing it would make it theoretically impossible to change. I have noticed on the new trucks that GM is putting more grease in their hubs now. I suspected these companies were building in planned failure and now have to find a way to shut this down or do the right thing by adding more grease. Have any of you found these 5 sided allen bolts yet?

I posted a You Tube Video on a modification that I am doing to other trucks with the tapered bearings. I have done it on trucks as small as an F150 to axles as big as 16000 lb. You mud boggers might be interested in this. Check it out.