New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

how many new ppl??

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 03:19 AM
Default how many new ppl??

... i have no idea, because i am one of them! just bought a '04 silverado 1500 ext cab LS, northwest edition. 49,000 original miles, one owner. a few things about me:

• although new to 4x4, am very familiar with AWD, coming from a Subaru history
  • purchased the truck because i needed more space to put things that i didnt want to put in my car
  • first truck i have owned
i am a little leary of its previous treatment, however. i noticed it has a 3" exhaust from the headers back, splitting into dual pipe. pretty sure this isnt normal, right? aftermarket parts? also has K&N cold air intake. so i am not totally familiar with naturally aspirated (non turbo'ed) vehicles, but are these two modification grounds for requiring a tune? stand alone chip or ECU map programming? or will the ECU make its own adjustments due to these mild value changes?

thats it for now. still exploring what was on this truck, and will probably be frequenting this board more often. thanks for reading this.

Old 12-31-2010, 11:02 AM
Administrator

Welcome!

No that exhaust is not stock, but the computer should automatically adjust to the altered air and exhaust flow and won't require a tune. You can however get a tune done to improve your truck and maximize the gains from the upgrades, but it's definitely not necessary.

Sounds like a great truck, do you happen to know what engine your truck has? If it's got the 5.3 v8 I'd imagine you'll be much more than pleased with the performance of this vehicle. Feel free to post some pictures and ask as many questions as you'd like.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:33 PM

thanks for the heads up about the ecu values being okay with those mild mods. from what i can tell, thats all that has been done, other than some cosmetic and audio stuff. it does have the 5.3, and its fairly stout on acceleration. we had some ice and snow lingering, and i noticed the 2H will fishtail predictably. is it safe to go into 4H or 4L while moving? as in, shift into N, shift to 4H, then back into D? i tried it a few times, and i didnt notice any sort of clunking or non locking issues. but that doesnt mean its safe to do so.

when i get a few more posts, i will put a few pics up, see if anyone can identify more mods in the engine bay that i may not notice.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:46 PM
Administrator

I really don't remember the best way to use the electronic transfer case, but I've always just referred to the owners manual for the operational things.

I'm glad it seems you're pleased with the new ride