New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

I need a truck

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 02:14 PM
Default I need a truck

Hey guys I'm new here and new to trucks!

I was hoping to get some expertise from the enthusiasts.

I'm moving down the Dallas for a job and I need to find a truck in the 3-5k price range.

-I won't be driving it far so gas mileage doesn't matter so much
-Don't care about looks
-Most importantly I want something that doesn't give me problems. I can't afford to put money into the car after I buy it.
-Something easy to repair/work on/change oil

Any make/model/year come to mind for these stipulations?

Thanks

Old 06-12-2011, 02:39 PM
TruckForum Addict

welcome to the forum
personally i would go with chevy as i have owned them my whole life
the price range your describing i would say a silverado or scottsdale or chyanne between the years of 88-98 as almost all of the parts are interchangable and affordable if something where to need fixed and most regular joes can do it themselves

if you could be more specific on what you need the truck for that would be hellpfull

hope you find a decent truck
also check all the fluids if they smell burnt or smell like they have gas or antifreeze in them i would stay away from that vehical

also drive the truck in the city and then if possible on the highway or interstate to see how she shifts i would check both drive and overdrive if the truck has over drive
i would avoid a truck with over 200xxx plus as in my truck has that many and it has problems and trans is goin out wont be much longer and it wont drive anymore

also i would look for a truck 88098 with the 5.7l v8 as they have more power then the 305s and smaller
if your gonna be doing alot of towing i would suggest a silverado or gmc sierra with the z71 package
its set up better then stock trucks
also gmc 88-98 almost all parts are interchangable with chevy and gmc as gm made both of those vehicals
anyway hope you find a good truck for your money
i personally wouldnt pay more then 1500 for anything older then a 94 but depending on how it was taken care of and if they show proof of work done then i would offer a little lower then what the are asking

Old 06-12-2011, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by cubpak89
welcome to the forum
personally i would go with chevy as i have owned them my whole life
the price range your describing i would say a silverado or scottsdale or chyanne between the years of 88-98 as almost all of the parts are interchangable and affordable if something where to need fixed and most regular joes can do it themselves

if you could be more specific on what you need the truck for that would be hellpfull

hope you find a decent truck
also check all the fluids if they smell burnt or smell like they have gas or antifreeze in them i would stay away from that vehical

also drive the truck in the city and then if possible on the highway or interstate to see how she shifts i would check both drive and overdrive if the truck has over drive
i would avoid a truck with over 200xxx plus as in my truck has that many and it has problems and trans is goin out wont be much longer and it wont drive anymore

also i would look for a truck 88098 with the 5.7l v8 as they have more power then the 305s and smaller
if your gonna be doing alot of towing i would suggest a silverado or gmc sierra with the z71 package
its set up better then stock trucks
also gmc 88-98 almost all parts are interchangable with chevy and gmc as gm made both of those vehicals
anyway hope you find a good truck for your money
i personally wouldnt pay more then 1500 for anything older then a 94 but depending on how it was taken care of and if they show proof of work done then i would offer a little lower then what the are asking
Thanks for the input. I won't be towing much stuff. I am getting a truck just to have really. Since I am moving away from my family, if I ever needed to say ship a dresser to my apartment I'd need a truck.

Old 06-12-2011, 03:17 PM
Administrator

Yeah I'd go for an 88-94 Chevy TBI 2wd (95-98 steering annoys me) and save yourself some money. I sold my 92 (see albums) for $3500 and it was in mint condition and never gave me more trouble than a bad starter. It's all about how they've been taken care of, but down in that area I'd imagine rust isn't too much of a problem and you would be able to find one pretty reasonably.

Old 06-12-2011, 03:47 PM
TruckForum Addict

i would have to agree with gmc sierra fan
two wheel drive will do just fine for what your looking for
and i know in texas the trucks dont have much rust on them as i have been to huston quite a bit
but like we say its all about how it was taken care of
and i would suggest not buying from some one who is 16 -19
as some beat the hell out of the vehicals but some actually do take care of them that has been my experiance in buyin vehicals
keep us posted and hope you stick around awhile on here and post some pics

Old 06-24-2011, 04:34 AM

Yes I too have to agree 90-98 gm 5.7 1/2 ton. I had a 98 GMC 1500 ex-cab Z71, wish I still had it. Over 100k on it no trouble, good mileage, good power, great ride, it just started to get rusty on me, (they do that here in Mighigan)

Old 07-05-2011, 05:26 PM

Hello guys. My father is a deepwell contractor and i am thinking if i am going to buy a track for her. Can you please advise me any suggestions are fine..

PCB Manufacturer

Treasury Publications