New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New to the forum. 93 F350 XLT 7.5 + toys

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 12:43 PM
Default New to the forum. 93 F350 XLT 7.5 + toys

Name:  IMAG0218.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  135.5 KB
Name:  IMAG0186.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  78.3 KB

Just picked up a 1993 F350 XLT 7.5 4x4 to replace my 95 silverado 1500. I plan to use the truck to pull my 22' toyhauler to job sites and vacation spots like glamis, national parks, pismo, ocotillo, stoddard wells, etc. (truck reminds me of my first ride, 1976 F250 Ranger. Wish i never sold her.)

No major problems besides cracked tires and 165k on 460 gas engine. Engine harness and seals/gaskets look replaced in some areas, guessing the engine has been resealed or rebuild in its lifetime. Mechanic said torque converter or something with tranny was painted, so must have been pulled out before. Runs great so far with no major issue, just little stuff here and there. Tune up, plugs wires cap rotor, radiator cap and hoses, etc.

My goal is to make the truck run solid/dependable for vacation trips, work projects and hauling toys (dirt bikes, quads, street bikes time to time). Ive gather plenty of info off the net but figured its time to join a forum to get more deatiled info.

Few questions for anyone reading the post and wants to help me out.

1. Battery is from 2005 and needs to be replaced. Debating if i should run dual batteries or a yellow top?? Ill be running an aftermarket audio system often and eletronic accessories in the desert from time to time. Looked up plenty of info on dual batteries but still not sure if i have to run a unit to seperate the batteries.
Dual batteries= More cold crank amps, longer reserve, less work on alternator?

2. Truck was running cold, didnt have a thermostate so i put one in. Running at normal temp now with no signs of overheating so far. Anything i should look out for ? (incase thermostate was remove to hide or temp fix something?)

3. I noticed some silicon by the diff and was planning to clean it up and see if there was any marking of evidence that it had been opened up or changed. Any signs i should look for?

4. Good brand for headers and high flow cat? Dual exhuast setup worth it?

5. Decent brand/style fuel regulator?

6. Previous owner installed power windows in the front and power locks all around. Works fine but the front door panels arn't tight and rattle at freeway speeds. More screws? Foam in corners to reduce vibration?

7. I want to start painting all the visable underbody, frame and stuff that currently has rust color. Read about a few products but any recommendations? Just want it black/painted and to last a lil.

Over the next two months i plan to:
New tires for the 16.5 rims...
Replace the steering bar and bushings
K and N filter in stock setup. Might wrap in thermal tape
Headers once i decide a brand and exhuast setup
Replace O2 sensor if needed
Dual battery setup
Warn manual hub conversion
Upgrade lights/offroad lights
Then some body work, grill, etc.

Thank you for your time.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:37 PM
Beginner

First...Welcome to the forum! Nice truck you got now, very huge. With battery you want to put dual batteries? depends of your alternator how much is capable to charge the batteries, maybe if they are not high as tension, work.