New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 01:21 AM
Beginner
Default New Member

Hey, all...

Just joined up here, hoping to gain some insight and information... I'm not a truck owner yet, but I am looking at getting a truck as my next vehicle, to replace the two cars I currently have, which are getting up there, mileage-wise. Hope to learn a thing or two!

Old 07-14-2015, 08:14 AM
Administrator

Welcome to truck forums
Glad you joined. I hope you enjoy your stay

Old 07-23-2015, 01:17 PM
Administrator

Welcome!

Old 11-27-2015, 02:08 AM
Beginner

Hey, all...

Okay, so I have pretty much decided that I want the 2004 - 2007 generation of F150 Lariat as my next vehicle and first truck. It has everything I want... a high ride height, big engine, a nice beige interior, and the same radio I have in my 2005 Focus, which is something I REALLY like, because I really hate the new infotainment screens in new vehicles. Just give me a basic radio. It also has a center-console shifter, and an auto-dimming rearview mirror, and mirror turn signals, which are two small safety features I'd like on my next vehicle. I also REALLY love the body style of that generation F150... I personally think it's the perfect truck design. It looks masculine while keeping the lines basic and simple, and not ridiculous and exaggerated, like some blown-up Tonka toy. I also like the two-tone green or maroon with beige trim colors of the Lariat trim.

However, my dad owns a 2015 GMC Canyon, and he's trying to get me to go with a new 2015 or 2016 Chevy Colorado, since he can get me $1000 off with his GM Card. The problem is that one, while I like the exterior looks of the new Colorado, I would only be able to afford the base WT trim with the automatic transmission (I need an automatic), and Chevy only offers the Colorado with either a dark gray or black interior, which I hate. My Focus has a black interior, and it's the first and last one I will ever own... I live in Los Angeles, and don't have a garage to keep my car in... black interiors get hot as all hell in the summer. Also, the Colorado has a smaller engine, has no auto-dimming mirror, or mirror turn signals. It's also a physically smaller truck, I think. So, once you remove the new car smell from the equation, I'd be paying a LOT more for less truck, and a truck that would immediately start depreciating in value as soon as I drive it off the lot, and would cost more to insure. Plus, the Colorado has the stupid infotainment screen in the middle of the dash, which I don't want.

So, since my PRIMARY reason for wanting a truck is so I can have a vehicle with higher ride height than a car, I guess my question to you folks who would know is, which of the two rides highest... the 2004-2007 F150, or the Colorado? I can understand and appreciate where my dad is coming from... he would rather see me in a new vehicle, with a new engine, which we would know the full history of, with no mechanical surprises or unknowns,and I can really appreciate that, but I think that the F150 just appeals to me more, and has everything I both want and need, and would be more truck for less money. What do you all think?

Old 12-12-2015, 09:06 PM

Welcome Bruce, enjoy your stay here and enjoy your future truck. I would think that the F150 would sit higher than the Colorado.

Old 12-19-2015, 07:50 PM
Administrator

I LOVE that interior

Old 12-20-2015, 12:11 AM
Beginner

^

Thanks, guys! In2Trux, I love it, too.

Well, there's been a slight change of plan... I talked it over with my dad, and he's willing to help me out in getting a brand-new 2015 F150 XL... the bare-bones "work truck" version. He'd just really rather see me in a new vehicle, with a clean mechanical history, and no surprises, and I can appreciate that. I'm still getting a full-sized F150, so I'm beyond happy.

Old 12-21-2015, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Congrats!

I've always been a hater of the "faux trucks" anyways like the s10 and colorado...

but now that you can get a colorado Z71 with a 2.8 liter diesel...

Old 12-23-2015, 08:06 PM

My first truck was a new 1993 Chevy C-1500 work truck with three options, chrome steel wheels, AC, and a tape deck. Besides that, V-6, Manual, Vinyl floors, the works, or lack thereof. I loved that truck! Still regret selling it. Had everything a young guy needed and very little extra fluff to break down.

Good luck with your truck.

Old 12-24-2015, 12:04 AM
Beginner

^

Thanks, guys.

GMCSierraFan, I don't hate the smaller light trucks... they have their place and roles, but I am personally looking for a full-size truck... I want that higher ride height. I think a lot of the fear people have of being able to maneuver or park a full-size truck (at least a 1/2-ton) is all in their head...

My dad let me drive his 2015 Canyon the other week, so that I could get a feel for how a truck feels, and part of the outing included me practicing pulling in and out of parking spots. It didn't really scare me, because I kept two points in mind... number one, unless it's a motorcycle parking space, ALL parking spaces are exactly the same size (at least width-wise), with the possible exception of spaces that are actually marked for compact cars. So, unless someone was a numbnut, and didn't park correctly, within the lines, you will be fine as long as you just relax and ease into the spot with care. Number two, unless you're driving some super-armored military vehicle, or coal mining monster truck, a vehicle will never be wider than the lane of a road... it just wont. So, there's no need to worry about maneuvering, as long as you're careful, and stay within the lines. I think people get into a full-size truck or a larger 3/4-ton, and get freaked out by the "largeness" of it, and allow that to stress them out. IDK, it's just my two cents on the issue... just remembering the the sizes of parking spots and lanes are a constant.

I also was able to pull out of parking spots without using the backup camera, even with a shell on the truck. I told my dad I didn't want to use the camera, because I didn't want to be dependent on it... I want and need to learn how to do it on my own.

GMC_Chris, I agree... I think basic trucks are the best. I consider trucks to be more of a tool than a toy. I don't need "luxury"... I'm happy with just a AM/FM radio and a clock, lol. As long as the ride is comfortable, I'm happy. I think having things like dual sunroofs, seat massagers, and infotainment screens in a truck is silly. But that's me.

Quick Reply: New Member